79. Time Heist

The next day Pepper and I were making lunch while dad went to get Morgan in the garden. We had set the table when I heard a car. I looked out the window and saw Steve step out of the car. I hadn't seen him in more than a year, only talked to him. While Morgan came inside I walked out to the patio. It were Steve, Nat and Scott. 

" No way, I thought you were dead." I told Scott and hugged him. 

" And I thought you were a brunette." He said, which made Nat smile.

They explained their plan to us. " Now, we know what it sounds like." Scott said. 

" Tony after everything you've seen, is anything really impossible?" Steve asked dad. Maybe they were right, but dad had tried to figure it out for years now and didn't find a safe way. 

" Quantum fluctuation messes with the Planck scale, which then triggers the Deutsch proposition. Can we agree on that?" Dad asked everyone while handing them a drink. " In Layman's terms, it means you're not coming home." Dad explained. 

" I did." Scott said. 

" No." Dad said " You accidentally survived. It's a... It's a billion-to-one cosmic fluke. And now you wanna pull a... What do you call it?" 

" A time heist?" Scott told us again. 

 " Yeah. Time heist. Of course." I said shaking my head " Why didn't we think of this before? Oh! Because it's laughable? Because it's a pipe dream." Timetravel was too complex. 

" The stones are in the past. We can go back and we can get them." Steve tried to reason with us. 

" We can snap our own fingers. We can bring everybody back." Nat said. 

" Or screw it up worse than he already has, right?" Dad asked, which was a valid point. 

" I don't believe we would." Steve told us. 

" Gotta say this. Sometimes, I miss that giddy optimism." Dad told Steve " However, high hopes won't help if there's no logical, tangible, way for me to safely execute said time heist. I believe the most likely outcome will be our collective demise." 

" And we don't want that, do we?" I asked them. 

" It won't happen if we strictly follow the rules of time travel." Scott said " That means no talking to our past selves, no betting on sporting events.-" 

" I'm gonna stop you right there, Scott." I said interrupting him, I knew what he was talking about " Are you seriously telling me that your plan to save the universe is based on Back to the Future?" 

" No." He said. 

" Good. You had me worried there." Dad stepped in " 'Cause that'd be horseshit. That's not how quantum physics works." 

Nat wasn't letting go." Tony..." She said " We have to take a stand." 

" We did stand. And yet, here we are." He said. 

" I know you got a lot on the line. You got a wife, two daughters. But I lost someone very important to me." Scott said " A lot of people did. And now, now, we have a chance to bring her back. To bring everyone back. And you're telling me that you won't even-" 

" That's right, Scott. I won't. Leave it. Got kids." But what Scott said was true, maybe we should at least try. 

Morgan came outside and jumped into dad's arms. " Mommy told me to come and save you." She was just too cute. 

" Good job. I'm saved." He said and got up " I wish you'd come here to ask me something else. Anything else. Honestly, I missed you guys. Oh, and table's set for seven." 

" Tony, I get it." Steve stopped him " And I'm happy for you. I really am. But this is a second chance." 

 " I got my second chance right here, Cap." Dad said mentioning our family " I can't roll the dice again. If you don't talk shop, you can stay for lunch." He went inside with Morgan while I stayed outside. 

" We could try to bring them back. Wanda, Sam, Peter." Steve told me. 

I looked at the lake and sighed " I'll be there tomorrow morning."

That night dad woke me up by barging into my room. " We did it!" He said excited. I shielded my eyes from the lights he had turned on and went to sit upright. 

" What the hell are you doing? I'm sleeping." I said annoyed. 

" I figured out time travel." He said beaming with energy. 

" You what?!" I asked, getting up and running into the living room.

" We can do it. We can bring them back." Dad told me while he showed me his equations. I hugged him tight, he had done it. 

I saw something moving from the corner of my eye. I turned around and saw Morgan sitting on the couch, eating juice pops. " Why is she eating a juice pop?" I asked dad. 

" She was bribing me." Dad whispered " I'll get her to bed." He told me and I went back to sleep.

 He had figured it out, time travel.