46. Christmas

The last month of the year, we were helping the French police roll up drug traffickers. Now I can hear you think, ' that's not a job for the Avengers', and you're right. But we weren't the Avengers anymore. We helped out everyone who needed help as long as they wouldn't rat us out to the American government. And surprisingly, no one had.

We had been in france for a week when we had finally located the base of the traffickers. Saint Tropez, a villa near the beach. While we were driving there, following an undercover cop's car I put on ' Welcome to St. Tropez' by DJ Antoine, as a joke. It was a horrible song, 

" God, is this what kids listen to these days?" Steve asked while driving. 

" Oh no" I laughed " They listen to way worse things. Ever heard of Gucci Gang?" I asked him. 

" No." he shook his head. 

" Good, don't look it up." I told him. 

When we had arrived at the hotel we were staying at we went straight to bed.

The next day we made a plan with the officers who had come along. Luckily for us they knew English, otherwise Nat and I would have been translating all day. Their accent was quite cute though. 

" So you're gonna give them a good scare, oui?" they asked at the end of the meeting. 

" Absolument." I told them. We said goodbye to them, they went home to their families. It was Christmas night, so we decided to order food and watch christmas movies. 

Of course I made all of them watch Elf. " All elves know the 4 main food groups are: Candy, Candy Canes, Candy Corn and Syrup." I said alongside Will Ferrell. 

" How many times have you seen this?" Sam asked confused to how I knew that. 

" Every year since it came out." After that we watched Home Alone and Frozen. It was a special night. You know, because none of us had spend Christmas in France before. And because we were with people that we loved.

I missed my dad that night, wondering what he would be doing. And Peter of course, he would probably be having fun with May or Ned. I wondered if they ever thought of me, or if they missed me like I missed them. When I didn't pick up my phone, they had all stopped calling after a few days. And I would have done the same.

When we woke up the next morning Sam noticed we didn't have a christmas tree in our room, so I sketched one and hung it on the refrigerator of the minibar. 

The whole day we prepared for the mission of that night. While the sellers would be selling the drugs we would step in and make sure they had nowhere to go. The police had caught them before, but they were with too many, had guns and they all escaped. So the police needed people who weren't scared of guns, aka us. We went over the plan one more time and started to suit up.

I was sitting behind a big rock, looking down on the villa. All their lights were on and a bunch of people were walking around. I was gonna block the front door. Sam, who was sitting a few feet away from me was securing the windows. Cap had the backdoor and Nat had the other side of the house's windows. I looked at the view with the setting sun, it was beautiful. 

* The buyers are here* A french accented voice said through the earpieces we had received. A few seconds later a black SUV drove up the driveway. We waited for them to actually hand over the first package. 

* Gogogo* a policeman said and a bunch of them surrounded the criminals. Without hesitation they drawed their guns and started yelling some not so nice words in french. 

 When they wanted to leave through the front door I flew down to greet them. When they saw me they all froze, like a deer in headlights. " Bonjour boys." I said holding up my hand, as a sign I could shoot them right then and there. 

They sprinted towards the backdoor, where Steve jumped down. " Good Evening gentlemen." he said nicely. 

They tried the big windows on either side, but Nat and Sam were already standing in front of them. 

" Now gentlemen" Steve started while all of us walked in " I suggest you put down your weapons and let these men cuff you." They were too in shock to say anything, so they just nodded. Sometimes being us, was enough for some people to listen. 

When they were all cuffed one of the men looked at me " Le Iron Man, you are mon idole." 

" No Iron Man here" I told him " Just The Flashlight." 

" Aaah Lampe de poche." he said, which made me regret my name for a moment, it just didn't sound as cool in french. We finished the mission, got thanked by the police and they flew us back home.

The next morning we were back in our house in the forest. " Hey, Lampe de Poche!" Sam joked when I had woken up from my nap. 

" You should know, they call you Gerfaut over there." I told him.

He immediately stopped laughing " That doesn't sound cool at all." I gave him a polite smile and started my breakfast.