96. Natasha Romanoff

We landed on the big open field in front of the house. I remembered it like it was yesterday. How we had walked in there after our defeat. How Laura had welcomed us into her home. How they had two kids with one on the way. The little girl who had given me a tiara to play tea time. 

" You ready?" Steve asked me. We were standing in the door of the quinjet, looking out on the place. 

" No, but I don't think I'll ever be." I told him. 

" Me neither O, me neither." He said and I helped him step out. We were greeted by Laura, who like everyone else, was devastated by Nat's passing, they were close. But unlike last time, she wasn't pregnant.

The rest of the team was already there. Bruce, Thor, Sam, Wanda, Rhodey, Bucky and Fury. Clint came into the house and said " If you would all like to step outside." We walked out of the back door into a smaller part of the garden. There was a bush, which Clint had just planted, filled with red roses. In front of it, a small hole where the box next to it would fit into. The day before Clint had asked me if I wanted to say a few words. " Of course." I had told him, but now that we were standing there, I found it hard to speak.

" When I first met Natasha, my dad had hired her to teach me French. But as we all know, she wasn't a teacher. She was Black Widow. One of the best agents SHIELD had ever seen. But she wasn't only an agent. She was an avenger, a friend. I remember how we used to paint each other's nails and braid each other's hair. I'd do everything to have her back... To have the chance to say goodbye and tell her how much I love her." I already had tears in my eyes, who now started to fall down. " I'd beg her ' Please don't go.' I would hug her and try to stay in her warm embrace forever. But she would give me her beautiful smile and say ' nothing lasts forever'. And that's true. But she wouldn't want us to cry, she'd want us to remember her and smile. Because she loved us, and we love her." I wiped my tears with the sleeve of my black dress.

I went back to stand between Sam and Bucky and they both put an arm around my shoulders to comfort me. Steve walked forward and put Nat's Ballet shoes in the box. Clint put in drawings Nathaniel, Lila and Cooper had made. He closed the box, put it in the hole and filled it up. We were all looking at the rose bush, roses were her favorite flowers, especially the red ones. 

One by one we all started to head inside. But Clint stayed out the longest. When Laura placed dinner on the table he came inside and sat down. When he was done eating he went outside again. He just stood there, looking at the roses. 

When we were ready to head back home I walked up to the window. " You think he'll be alright?" I asked Fury, who was looking over Clint from inside. 

" Someday." He said " But it's gonna take a long ass time." He was right about that.