99. Thank god for Europe

Seeing him trying to answer all those questions made me think of my first press interview after all of what went down. So I ran outside and saw him sitting on the top of the building. I used the fire escape stairs to crawl up. I sat down beside him and saw what he was looking at. There was a beautiful graffiti painting on the building beside us. One of Iron Man. I saw he had tears in his eyes so I hugged him. 

" This is stupid." He said wiping away his tears. 

" What is?" I asked him confused. 

" I'm crying on a rooftop while I didn't even really know him. While you're over here being strong, hurting the most out of everyone." He said. 

" Peter," I said taking his hand " he loved you. You have as much right to mourn as anyone. I don't care if you cry... I cried myself to sleep almost every night for months. And that's okay." His tears started to stream down again and mine as well " It's okay to miss him." I said putting my hand around his shoulder, looking at the graffiti.

" Those reporters really went in on you." I said after a while. Peter now had his arm around my waist and my head rested on his shoulder. 

" I just don't know how I'm supposed to do this." He sighed. 

" I know it's hard. That's why I stopped doing these things." I reminded him  

- 8 MONTHS EARLIER -

Through the eyes of my mask I was looking out to a room full of reporters. All flashing their cameras and rereading the questions they had written. Happy had already broken the news to the public about dad, and told everyone what had happened with the aliens. The remaining Avengers were standing behind me on stage, but I was the one answering the questions. 

" What's gonna happen now that Iron Man is no longer there to lead the Avengers? Are you gonna step up and protect all of us?" The first reporter asked. 

" The rest of the team and I can ensure you we will protect our planet." I told her. 

" Why should we put our safety in your hands? After all, we don't even know who you are." The next one asked. 

" I think I've proven myself capable of that task earlier this month. And I'm not alone, I have my team." I answered. 

" Where are the rest of the Avengers? Where's Captain America, Natasha Romanoff and Thor?" I knew that face, that blonde hair and that fake smile. Christine Everhart. How could I have forgotten about her. 

 " Thor and Captain America are taking some time for themselves. And Natasha Romanoff is no longer with us." I answered her question. 

But without just accepted my answer she decided to follow that up with " Did she go back to the Russians?" I could see her wicked smile, ready for some scandal to write about. 

" I can assure you she didn't." I told her. 

" Than why isn't she here? Is she still a wanted criminal, running from the government?" 

" She is not. Any other questio-" 

" Then where is she?" She interrupted me. Was she being serious? " She can't just disappear after everyone was brought back." 

I took a deep breath and said " She sacrificed her life for us to be here today. All of us, that includes you Miss Everhart. So no she didn't run away, she died." 

The room went quiet, then it exploded with questions. " What happened? How did she die? Was there a funeral?... " I could feel the sweat underneath my mask, it was getting hot and I heard my breathing fasten. I felt my hands produce power and I tried to keep it in. 

" She was..., we tried...," I tried to form a sentence but I felt like I was gonna pass out. So I just walked off stage, outside and flew home. When I landed I pulled off my suit and ran up to the roof. After a minute my breathing slowed down and I started to feel normal again.

" I just wasn't ready for it, and everyone realised that." I sighed. 

" Yeah I remember that." Peter said. 

" Thank god we're going away for a little while." I said. 

" Yeah, thank god for Europe." He smiled.