17. London

It was hard seeing Steve so broken down. He had always been the optimistic big brother I never had. But on our way to England I realised losing Peggy was one of the worst things that had ever happened to him. Sam and I were the only ones who felt the need to go to the funeral. Even though I knew dad and Peggy had known each other, he wasn't there.

The cathedral in London where the funeral took place was packed with mourners

The cathedral in London where the funeral took place was packed with mourners. Who in some way or another had been connected to Peggy. Sam and were seated along one of the first rows while Steve was in the back with the rest of the pallbearers. 

Before the ceremony started I had the time to look around. It was amazing how many people she had inspired in her life. At the altar a candle was burning by a framed picture of a young Peggy in her military uniform. Margaret 'Peggy' Carter, she truly was a beautiful woman. The times Steve had taken me to meet her she was already in a bad state. She never remembered who I was, which I didn't mind. I was just happy she remembered Steve. I was wearing one of her old dresses she had given to me a few years before. Just to feel close to her. 

When the choir began to sing Steve and five other men carried the coffin draped with the Union Jack. I could see his eyes were red, he had been crying. Something very rare for Steve, he always kept his tears for himself. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

After the priest had addressed us he gave the word to Sharon Carter. A blonde woman stepped up the podium. I recognized her. She was Steve's neighbor, the one who worked for SHIELD. I didn't know her but Steve and Sam had told me all about her. Sam seemed to have noticed her as well, nudging Steve, who looked up. 

" Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD..." Sharon started her speech. " but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy." Oh no, this was just weird. Looking at the look on Steve's face, he had no clue. " She had a photograph in her office." she went on " Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related." She looked directly at Steve. " I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move... it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in they eye and say ' No, you move'."

After the service Sam and I waited for Steve outside the church. He had stayed inside to say his final goodbye. While we were waiting a very familiar redhead stepped out of a car and walked up to us. 

" What are you doing here?" Sam asked Natasha, maybe a bit too defensive. 

" I wanted to make sure Steve's okay." she said walking in. 

" Making sure he's okay, my ass." Sam said " She's probably pushing him to sign the accord right now." 

" Oh come on." I sighed " She's not like that. She knows he's going through a hard time." It was silent between us for a moment " You think Wanda signed?" I then asked him. 

" I have no idea." he told me. I hoped she hadn't, she didn't like the government so it would be weird if she had signed.

When Nat had left, the three of us made our way to the graveyard where the rest of the people were. After another half hour the service was over. Steve told us he was gonna walk Sharon to her hotel so Sam and I decided to go to a bar to drink something. He ordered a cocktail while I had an orange juice. While we were drinking the tv's in the bar had been turned on.

- News anchor: During the signing of the Sokovia accords, a bomb has exploded Outside the UN building in Vienna...

Sam and I looked at each other, we had to find Steve. We found him by the elevator talking to Sharon. We ran up to him." There's something you gotta see." Sam told them both. They made their way to the bar and watched the news.

- News anchor #4: A bomb hidden in a news van ripped through the UN building in Vienna. More than 70 people have been injured. At least 12 are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier. The infamous HYDRA agent, linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations.

This had to be a joke. Bucky? He had been hiding out somewhere trying to get his memory back. 

" I have to go to work." Sharon said and walked out of the building. 

We immediately took a plane to Vienna. We needed to see it with our own eyes.

When we arrived there we kept our distance. Steve called Natasha while Sam and I hid out in a coffee shop wearing a cap and sunglasses. Steve walked in, a worried look on his face. 

" She tell you to stay out of it? Might have a point." Sam told him. 

" There is no way it could have been him Sam, you know that." I said. 

" He'd do it for me." Steve told us. 

" 1945, maybe. I just want to make sure we considered all our options. The people that shoot at you usually wind up shooting at us." He pointed at the both of us. Which was true, but I didn't care, Bucky was innocent. 

Sharon arrived standing beside us. " Tips have been pouring in since that footage went public. Everybody thinks the Winter soldier goes to their gym. Most of it's noise. Except for this." She slid Steve a file " My boss expects a briefing, pretty much now... so that's all the head start you're gonna get." 

We all looked at her. " Thank you." we said. 

" And you're gonna have to hurry. We have orders to shoot on sight." she told us. They were gonna shoot him? We really needed to get going. 

" Where is he Steve?" I asked anxiously. 

He looked in the file " Bucharest."