104. Elementals

Entering my room I immediately checked my phone. I left it in the hotel room and I was pretty sure I had some missed calls. And I was right, Pepper, Happy, Bucky and Sam all tried to reach me. I pushed on Pepper's name and waited for her to pick up. 

" Thank god, are you okay?" Was the first thing she asked. 

" Yeah, I'm fine. Soaked, but fine." I told her. She sighed from relief.

After putting on dry clothes I went down to where everyone was watching the news. 

" Who is that guy?" Betty asked, the mysterious man was being shown on the news. 

" He's like Iron Man and Thor rolled into one." Brad stated. 

" He's alright. He's no Spiderman." Flash commented. 

" What is it with you and Spiderman?" MJ asked him. Peter walked up to us and stood beside me. 

" What, he's just awesome okay. He protects the neighbourhood and you know, he's inspiring. He inspires me to be a better man." 

I smiled a little bit, he had no idea he was praising the guy standing beside me. 

" Sup dickwad." He said when he noticed Peter had joined the group " Thought you drowned." 

" Did you call May?" I whispered to Peter, making sure no one heard it. 

" Yeah, she told me to make sure you called Pepper. They called each other." 

I nodded " Pep told me the same thing."

When everyone went to their rooms I went to get some ice for Betty's knee. It had bruised from the gondola crash. I went down the stairs to look for an employee when I saw a figure sitting at one of the little tables. How did he even know we were here? 

I walked up to him and asked " What are you doing here?" Already knowing the answer. 

" Did you really just ask me that?" Fury asked, not amused. 

" Right," I said " How did you find us?" I asked knowing Pepper wouldn't have told him. 

" Captain America likes to chat." He said dryly. " There's a boat outside, get on it while I get your boyfriend." He stood up and walked up the stairs.

I stepped on the empty boat and sat down to wait for them. A few minutes later Fury and Peter, who was now wearing his suit, got in as well. Fury was navigating us through the canals when he got out a little box. I knew what they were.

" Stark left these for you." He said handing the glasses to Peter. 

" Really?" He asked. 

" Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown." Fury quoted Shakespeare " Stark said you wouldn't get that because it's not a Star Wars reference." 

I remembered dad telling me about the glasses. The night before his last mission, he showed me how he had made them, and how he had connected everything to them. His whole security system. " Meet EDITH" He said. " Even dead I'm the hero." I told him he'd be fine, but I think, somewhere deep down, he knew.

We stopped at some little hidden base beneath a big bridge. " You can lose the mask." Fury told Peter while walking in " everyone here has seen you without it. You'd only be feigning anonymity and breathing through spandex for no good reason." 

We walked further inside and I saw someone I recognized. " Over there we have Maria Hill." Fury told Peter. I waved to her, and she gave me a smile. But there was also a guy, checking his gun. " And that is Dimitri." He looked like a great bodyguard, a bit surly though. " And this, is Mr. Beck."