110. Cat's out of the bag

When I had laid down on my bed for a few minutes I fell asleep.

I was standing backstage at one of dad's university talks. He was demonstrating some new technology that worked with holograms. He had the whole crowd engaged. Behind the scenes there were lots of people walking around, making sure everything went according to plan. "... BARF." I heard dad say and the crowd started to laugh.

" BARF?" I heard someone asked in disgust. Out of the corner of my eye I could see a bearded man, wearing a black turtleneck. He had dressed like he wanted the be the next Steve Jobs. But his couldn't see his face from the place I was standing.

When dad came off stage the guy appro ached him. " BARF?" He asked.

" Yeah, funny name." Dad told him.

The man was furious now " You're making a big mistake here Stark. This technology is gonna change the world. You can't just take my life's work and throw it away like a stupid joke."

But the guy's voice started to sound familiar, like I had heard it before. I concentrated really hard on the man's face. And after a few seconds of intense staring his face started to sharpen. I knew who he was.

" Walles?! Walles are you in here?!" I shot awake of Mr Harrington who was banging on my door. I got up, in a sweat from the dream and opened the door.

" Yes?" I asked.

" Pack your bags, we're booking flights home. Please text your parents that you're okay... are you okay? You're sweating." He then said.

" Yeah, I just ate a bad sandwich on the bus ride." I told him.

He nodded and went on to the next room.

I shut the door and grabbed my phone. I had to tell Peter. Mysterio was one of dad's old employees, not a superhero from another dimension.

I tried calling him several times, but he wouldn't pick up.

There was another knock on my door. It was Ned.

" Thank god you're okay. Where's Peter?" He asked, noticing his absence. " Can you call him for me, he isn't picking up." I asked him getting more nervous. What if Mysterio had done something to him?

" Yeah sure, what's wrong?" He asked, noticing something was wrong.

" Mysterio isn't some superhero from another dimension. He worked for my dad before he got himself fired. And Peter is grabbing a drink with him." I explained.

Another knock on the door. Ned opened the door and Peter walked right in.

He looked happy, and I hated the fact that I was gonna flip that switch.

" Do you feel a bit bett-"

" Beck isn't from another dimension. He used to work for my dad and I'm pretty sure he's planning something." I said in one breath.

" What?" Peter asked.

" In my dream, I remembered him. He went crazy because dad called his life's work BARF." I explained.

" Oh shit." I heard him sigh.

" What?" I asked him.

" Promise me you're not gonna freak out." He said.

" What? Fine I won't. What happened?" I asked eager to know.

" I gave him the glasses."

I needed a second to process what he had just said. He had given EDITH, the AI my dad had made just for him and given him, away, to a crazy guy.

" Peter." I said " I'm trying really hard to stay calm right now. and I'm trying really hard not to yell at you."

" I know, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have given them but he seemed like such a responsible guy. And-

" It's fine Peter, it's not your fault." I put everything into perspective. Mysterio had played him. Just like he had done to everyone else.

"We need to tell Fury."

Another knock on the door.

" Hey, Odette, just checking in, are you okay?" I heard MJ ask from the other side of the door.

" Yeah, still a bit sick from that sandwich but-" I tried.

But she cut me off " I know they're in there with you. Can you please open up?"

Ned opened the door and she walked in.

" Hi, euhm, how are you?" I asked her " Ned told me about what happened. Pretty crazy I slept through all of that." I tried to lie.

" I found this drone on my way back to the hotel." She said calmly.

" That's cool, maybe Ned can try and fix it." I tried. But she looked right through the bullshit.

" Maybe you want to check it out. Since you're spider-man and flashlight and all." She stated.

" Pfff, yeah right haha." Peter tried to laugh. But from the look on her face I knew she was serious.

" How did you find out?" I asked her.

" The rest of these people may be incredibly blind. But I notice when you guys are running off." She stated.

" Euhm, well okay. Cat's out of the bag then. Can I see the drone?" I asked her.

She handed it to me, by moving it it started working again. It made a hologram, and Beck's voice came from the speaker. I put it down and started to get into my suit.

" So he's been faking the whole thing." Peter said " With holograms... Ned I need you to call May, get her to call Mr. Harrington, say she wanted Odette and I to stay with family in Berlin, okay?" He asked.

" Got it. Easy." He said.

" Wow, you guys lie with such ease." MJ noticed.

" Yeah well, it's kinda our job." I joked.

" We gotta go." Peter told me.

" Wait wait wait, the projector. You're gonna need this." Mj said and threw it to me.

" Don't tell anyone about this, okay? Anyone who knows is in danger." Peter told them.

After that I opened the window and we jumped out. I held on to Peter while he swung us to the train station and on top of a train to Berlin.