73. Paper Football

SPOILER ALERT! If you haven't seen Endgame yet.

We had been sitting there for almost an hour, trying to make sense of what had happened. No one spoke but no one cried either. We had lost. The one fight we knew we had to win. The fight we had been dreading for six years. And all I could do was wonder who was still alive back on earth.

Nebula had been tinkering on the Guardians' ship, trying to make it work. She and dad knew how to fix ships, I didn't. So while they were trying to figure it out I started counting rations. There was food and water for around 15 days, maybe 20 if we rationed. Hopefully that would be enough to get back to earth.

A few hours later they were done and we got into the ship. I looked one more time at Titan and closed the hatch. 

" Let's go home." dad said when we took of. 

" I've never been to Terra." Nebula told us.

DAY 1

We were on course for Earth, but it would take a while to get there. So we decided to make the most of our time. I looked through the stuff Quill had on his ship. I saw a tape called 'Awesome Mix vol.1' so I took it and put it in the radio. The Jackson Five started to play. Who would have thought that Star-Lord had good taste in music. 

" Does he have something else than 70s and 80s music?" Dad asked after an hour. 

" Nope." I told him while looking through the supplies once again. There were no blankets or extra clothes.

That night I was sitting in one of the pilot seats. I was thinking about Peter. I had had him back for a few hours, and then I had lost him again. Tears fell from my eyes while I looked out into space. It wasn't fair, we lost more than 50 percent.

Dad came to sit next to me. " You okay there pumpkin?" He asked. 

I shook my head and whispered " No." He extended his hand for me to hold and I grabbed it. " They're gone dad." I said still with tears in my eyes " And all I can think about is who else might be. What if Pepper, or Steve-" 

He stopped me " We can't think like that." he said " Let's just hope they aren't." I nodded and looked out the window again. " You should get some sleep." He said and got up. He put my jacket over me to keep me warm and kissed me on my forehead. " Rest." He said. I closed my eyes and fell asleep. For the first time in a long time, not dreaming about anything.

DAY 2

When I woke up dad and Nebula were sitting at the big table in the middle of the ship. I sat down next to them and looked at their game of paper football. Nebula didn't really get it but dad did his best to explain it. When dad flicked his paper she pushed it out of the air. " You don't have to do that." He said " 'Cause this is your goal." He positioned his hands in the form of a goal. She seemed to enjoy the game. 

When they were done playing and dad got up Nebula turned to me " Do you have any games I could learn?" 

I sat down and asked " Do you know the game called: Rock Paper Scissors?" 

She shook her head " No, but I don't think we'll find a rock on this ship." She said, making me smile.

" We won't need that." I said and explained her the rules. A few minutes later we were playing the game. " Rock Paper Scissors." I said and we showed our choice. She had rock and I had paper. " Now it's one to zero for me." I told her " We go until someone has three points." 

" Rock Paper Scissors." She then said. I won again. 

" Rock Paper Scissors." I said. She had scissors and I had paper. " two to one." I said. 

" Rock Paper Scissors." She won again. 

" Okay, final round." I said " Rock Paper Scissors." She had rock and I had scissors. She looked at our hands and then at me. 

" Did I?" she asked amazed. 

" You won." I smiled " Congratulations." 

" Thank you." She smiled.

DAY 3

" Today we have a delicious soup, made by our best chef, moi." I said putting down the three cups of soup. Dad and Nebula smiled. We ate our food and went back to navigating the ship. We were still light years away from Earth and we didn't have enough fuel to space jump. I was listening to music while I was sweeping the ship. " Iiiiiii'm hooked on a feeling!" I sang while using the brush as a microphone. 

" High on believing!" I heard dad sing from the pilot seat. Music had always been our coping mechanism and a way of distracting ourselves. And knowing we were in space I needed the distraction more than ever.

" I'm a ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb!" I sang while dancing around. I was trying to make the most out of our dark situation. But at night when I was supposed to be sleeping, I couldn't push the darkness away. It always hit me again that we were stranded in space.