CHAPTER 1.

CHAPTER 1.

This day is not suppose to be like this. What is suppose to be the happiest day of my parents lives has turned out to be the worst. Just a week before my sister's "so called wedding" must take place, she left a letter stating that she's not pregnant for the man she has to marry, she doesn't love him and she has eloped to marry the father of her child. We don't know where she is and everyone has been calling her but her phone is switched off but I think she changed her numbers.

My mom has been crying non stop all week and dad being him has been roaring like a caged lion because he can be pretty strict sometimes....who am I kidding most of the time, so this behavior from my sister shook everyone mostly my parents coz she's the apple of their eyes. So today is the day where the negotiations must conclude and everyone is on edge coz we don't know what my dad is going to tell her fiance's family.

I'm lungi mazibuko, I'm 25 and I'm the second born, of Thuli and sipho mazibuko. My elder sister is nobuhle mazibuko she's 30 the one who ran away and then our little brother thami mazibuko who's 20. My dad is 57, mom is 50 and we live comfortably and we not rich or poor. We live in Mpumalanga province Standerton.

My dad is a correctional officer at the Department of Correctional Services. Mom is a teacher at a primary school and my older sister was or is working in Joburg for some law firm as registry clerk and I work as a secretary for some real estate company and my brother is studying civil engineering at TUT.

I know why you're wondering why I'm not living at my own place as I'm 25 well I tried but dad refused when I told him and he said I'll leave this house the day I get married. I think it's because he wanted to control me. They provide us with everything we need but it has never been a secret that nobuhle is their favourite child. So you can imagine the shock they felt when they read that letter.

My brother found it, came to my room and we read it before we took it to them. Dad has been been mum about it the whole week thinking buhle will show up before the week ends but she didn't so he had no choice but to call our uncles and tell them what happend.

My uncles and dad have been discussing a way forward since they arrived in the morning because today my sister's in-laws are coming to finalise the Amalobo negotiations. I know the in-laws of my sister are rich and so is her fiancee. I have never seen him or heard of him but maybe my parents do but I'm not sure because my sister came home one day and announced that there's a man who wants to marry her, he's rich and hearing that my dad's ears started ringing and he agreed to start the lobola negotiations as soon as possible.

Mom told anyone and everyone that her daughter is going to marry a rich man from Joburg who lives in Sandton. She was so excited and started to interview people who'll do the catering and decor because her princess deserves only the best. She's in her bedroom right now because she said she thinks she's going to have a heart attack.

We're in the kitchen and it's me, my cousin simphiwe I call her Sims then her mom who is my aunt. The mood is sour and it's like someone has died and we're preparing for a funeral.

Sims: " Luh "

Me: " Sim" I look at her as I'm busy gratting the carrots

Sims:" Buhle really ran away? "

Me:" You heard it yourself when dad read the letter again to everyone "

Sims:" She has always been selfish, look at what she did"

Me:" Shh... You dont want mommy dearest to her you say that"

Sims:" Oh It serves them right"

Me:" Obviously " We both giggle and mom enters the kitchen while we're giggling.

Mom:" You are all laughing because what is happening is funny?, what are you laughing at? " She asks angrily

Sims:" So we must not laugh now because buhle ran our away?, it's not our fault aunt that she did yoh "

Mom:" Shut up simphiwe! , you are all so jealous of her. You knew that in this family she's the only one who'll be more successful in anything more than all of you" She looks at me when she says those words. Sometimes I wonder and ask myself why does my mother hate me so much. I keep quite, look down and continue what I'm doing.

Sims:" Yeah right she got successful by getting pregnant for another man " She says rolls her eyes

Me:" Sim please don't say anything "

Sims:" Aunt shouldn't say that. We'll also be successful so when she says that it's like she's putting a curse on us "

Mom:" That's why you have 2 kids with different fathers, it's that big mouth of yours that you open like your legs. Where are their fathers hmm?, you see what I mean...jealousy" That shuts sims up and she tears up. Mom leaves the kitchen and my aunts don't say anything, they just keep quiet because they scared of her.

Me:" I'm sorry sims, you know how mom can be"

Sims:" It's okay sis and she is right. Me and my big mouth don't know when to shut it" I hug her and we continue to cook in silence. We can hear there's a disagreement in the living room about something and then my uncle who's dads younger brother says " This is wrong sipho" Then at that moment we hear cars hooting outside and the whole house goes dead quiet.