Year 6 - Dumbledore's Pride

Harry sighed as he knocked on the door to Dumbledore's office. The door opened and he stepped in.

"Hello, Harry. Did you enjoy Christmas?"

"I did. Just a few incidences here and there," Harry replied.

"Oh?" Dumbledore questioned.

"Well, the new Minister showed up at the Weasley's. He was trying to get me to be only on the ministry's side. I told him I didn't want to and he was really angry and yelled at me saying I was a Dumbledore man...I said he's not wrong sir." Harry explained and looked up at Dumbledore who had happy tears in his eyes. Harry was embarrassed and looked down away from him.

Dumbledore reached up wiped away his tears and smiled. "Anyway, there's no getting out of this tonight. Please sit down."

Harry sat down and Dumbledore started talking again. 

"Tom Riddle was always an excellent student. As soon as the sorting hat got near him he was put in Slytherin. Throughout his years at Hogwarts, he was praised by the faculty. Most thought he would go towards the ministry route after Hogwarts. And honestly so did I."

"Were there really no signs at all, Sir?"

"Well, I've only seen him get angry slightly only two times at Hogwarts."

"I suppose you should see the memory of this one it's I believe around the time he was finding out about his parentage."

Dumbledore and Harry got up walking to the pensieve and went into some memories some mixed with ex-Slytherins from that time and his own memories. 

They watched the young Tom Riddle, around his first year at Hogwarts, answer questions in class. Even with all the students, it was clear who shined out of them all. His cool answering of the questions, his perfect potions, and his magical skills was impressive. The only thing that was lacking was his socialization skills. It seemed he mostly spent most of his time in the library with books around him absorbing everything in them.

Harry didn't want to admit it but that picture reminded him of someone familiar. The two while watching Tom shine could see the others around Tom was clearly jealous of his talents, the way he was easily gaining points quickly. The way he talked to the professors was interesting, too. He was so smooth and relaxed.

The memories changed to where Tom could be anywhere and the ridiculing from his housemate started. The older students making small comments here and there and it quickly became apparent what was happening.

What Harry assumed was a Malfoy was smirking at the boy, "a mudblood trying to be more than what he is. Crazy. I suppose anyone can be smart if they spend all of their time in the library. Even a mudblood!" Malfoy gleefully was saying aloud to where everyone can hear in the common room.

Tom was certainly angry but decided to ignore it and walked away.

Dumbledore spoke to Harry now, "Harry the next part you see I'm not proud of it, but at the time I was the Transfiguration teacher and head of Gryffindor house. These matters you are going to see should have been resolved with the head of Slytherin house. But Slughorn has always given the benefit of the doubt to everyone."

The scene changed again everyone was in the great hall for the Halloween feast. Everyone was laughing and joking with each other happily. When suddenly a small explosion was heard towards the Slytherin table. Harry watched as the young Tom Riddle was covered head to toe with food and drinks of all kinds.

Most of the Great Hall laughed especially the Slytherins most thinking it was a practical joke on a first-year until Malfoy stood up, "Here-y! Here-y! BEHOLD THE BEST STUDENT OF THE YEAR! THE MUDBLOOD SLYTHERIN! WHO CAN'T EVEN CLEAN THEMSELVES WITH MAGIC! SEE HOW FAR RELYING ON JUST THE LIBRARY CAN GET YOU! YOU HAVE TO THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX RIDDLE NOT JUST BOOKS! STUPID MUDBLOOD!"