Year 4 - Rita Again, Egg Clue, and the Second Task

"THIS IS RIDICULOUS!" Hermione yelled in the Great Hall as she threw the Daily Prophet onto the table angrily and Daphne jumped as she was about to eat her toast. 

"What does it say this time Granger?" Blaze questioned sipping his drink.

"The WITCH is saying I'm playing around with hearts and is nothing but a social climber! OHHH I want her gone!" Hermione clenched her fist and hit the table.

"Whoo! Chill it's just an article..." Theo tried to calm her down.

"IF IT WERE YOU WOULD YOU BE CALM!" 

Theo thought for a bit, "No I suppose not, I would just pay her off though."

"Do you really think that's one of my options Theo," Hermione was irritated tapping her foot. 

"Oh, that's right..." 

Hermione growled and was about to rant until a blur came sprinting at them from the doorway. "HERMIONE!" A yell rang out and she turned to look at the running person.

 "What do you want, Potter?" Hermione was in no mood to deal with questions if she got the clue on the egg.

"I have an idea on what to do with the egg! I think I can figure it out! Can you get it!" Harry was excited and Hermione sighed relieved she didn't have to continue trying to figure it out.

"Really? That's actually really helpful! I guess I'll go get that damn egg," Hermione said getting up and walking with Harry. The other Slytherin were relieved they didn't have to deal with the annoyed girl and quiet pleased that Potter calmed her down some.

Once the two reached the common room Hermione told him to wait and she walked into the common room where Malfoy was sitting glaring at the golden egg.

He looked up and saw her, "You know I said I would help you with this...but I can't find anything! It just screeches!" 

"Well, you don't have to worry about it anymore Malfoy. I'm giving it to Harry, he said he believes he's figured out the clue to open the thing."

"Potter? Seriously? Do you really think he's figured it out?" Malfoy questioned her unbelievingly.

"I don't know and I don't care at this point. I've been at it for weeks and can't find anything and if Potter does it...good."

"Fine. Let's just hope that he figured it out, the task is in three days," Malfoy handed her the egg.

"I hope so too for once," Hermione smiled and walked out and gave Harry the egg. "I hope you actually have something. I'm going to class, so talk to you tomorrow, to figure out a plan." Hermione then walked off down the hall to her classes.

The next morning Hermione was sitting down at breakfast when once again Harry found her, "I have the clue...and I know what it means too."

Hermione with a full mouth looked at him and he continued. 

"So I put the thing in water and it sang. It said 

'Come seek us where our voices sound,
We cannot sing above the ground,
And while you're searching, ponder this:
We've taken what you'll sorely miss,
An hour-long you'll have to look,
And to recover what we took,
But past an hour – the prospect's black
Too late, it's gone, it won't come back.'

So I might have had some help, but mermaids...I don't know what the thing we'll miss most but it's something along those lines." Harry finished and looked at Hermione again expecting her to say something.