Year 3 - Trip and Animals

"Hermione...are you sure you're okay with going by yourself this year?" Jean Granger asked looking at her daughter.

"Yes, I'm sure.  I'll be fine mum."

"Okay well, what time do you think you'll be back?"

"Around dinner I'm sure."

"Okay..." Jean turned around in the kitchen and began cleaning the dishes.  Hermione turned back around and went back to her room getting ready to go to Diagon Alley.

The entire Summer Hermione was lost in thought and Tom Riddle's words kept repeating in her mind.  Since it was close to the time of going back to Hogwarts she finally convinced herself his words were wrong.  Still, even with herself convincing herself, she was silent and cautious around her parents.  Either they would be silent or she would.  It was an overall awkward summer for her and now just glad to finally get a regular conversation with other people.

Finishing up getting ready she walked to the front door after the cab arrived.  "I'm off mother..."

Jean poked her head around the corner with a dish in hand and just nodded at her as she walked off.  The door closed behind Hermione and Jean sighed before going back into the kitchen.

Hermione arrived a little early to meet her friends in Diagon Alley so she finished up her shopping before she was supposed to meet her friends.  It was actually exciting to be seeing them again even Weasley.  

Looking at the time she decided to go into one more shop before going to the inn where the Weasley family and Harry were to meet her.  At least she could drop off her belongings while walking with them as they shopped.

Walking into the shop there were animals of all kinds.  Cats, snakes, toads, dogs, owls, even some more exotic animals like some lions, hippogriffs, and tons more.  Hermione looked around at every animal until a lady walked up to her.

"Hello, Miss, is there anything specific you're looking for?"

"Not really...but out of curiosity how many animals do you usually sell?"   

"Oh, we sell about four animals on a slow day.  On the end of year trips and beginning, year trips are our busiest times. The ones you see out here are in high demand at the moment the ones in the back rooms are the animals that have been here for a while and haven't been adopted."

The front desk bell rung for assistance up front, "Oh...well just look around and if you have any questions or any help just get me!" The lady walked off and Hermione started looking around again.

She ended up in the back rooms when a sound caught her hear.  It was a loud purr and what seemed to be soft whispering. She approached the sound closer to a counter where a very orange and fluffy cat lay asleep while a small pure black snake was curled into the cat's fur and just talking to the sleeping cat which wasn't really asleep just resting.

Hermione got closer to them and just looked at them curiously. She was about to reach out to them when the lady spoke behind her again.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

Hermione raised a questioning eyebrow.

"You see whoever tries to pet the cat is attacked by the snake.  It may not be venomous, but he really hurts and won't stop attacking until you stop trying to get to the cat.  It's such a shame too, I know the cat might not be that pretty, but I still believed he could be adopted, but the snake and the cat won't separate.  They are both so young to not even a year old.  The cat may look old, but no, he's a half-kneazle and half-cat.  The snake I have no idea."

"Do you think I could stay with them just for a bit?" Hermione questioned, "I won't harm or do anything to them."

The lady stopped for a moment before nodding leaving again.  Hermione turned back to the two animals.  Hermione just looked at them for a bit the snake just starred back cautiously.

It hissed in the language Hermione understood that Potter could too, "What are you doing?"

Hermione tilted her head at it and whispered back, "Sorry, you both very pretty.  I don't mean to bother you two." 

"You speak the common tongue?"

"I suppose."

"I never meet any human who speaks like me.  Do you also speak in my brother's tongue?"

Hermione glanced at the cat questioning if that was what the snake was talking about.  The snake just nodded.

"No, only yours.  You two look hungry."

"We are. The food here is little because so much has to be given to everyone."  Hermione nodded at that statement. 

"I could help you.  I don't want to make either one of you uncomfortable, but I could take you...both of you.  Only if you want to.  I'll even allow you to pick want you to want before we leave.  Only if you want to leave this place with me."

The snake hesitated but turned to the cat and seemed to silently communicate with him.  They came to an agreement. "We'll accept your offer, Miss."

"Do you two have names?"

"No.  We are usually just called the cat and the black snake."  The cat was paying attention now just sitting there looking at the two.

"Hmm... how about Crookshanks for an intelligent cat and...Agiel for you as dark as they come."

"I like..."  the small black snake slithered over to her and up her arm waiting to be taken away from the horrible place.  Hermoine then picked up Crookshanks carefully and made him comfortable in her arms.  She gathered everything they wanted and any other essentials for both of them before heading to the front desk.

The lady almost dropped the jar she was holding to feed the frogs once she saw Hermione walking with the two hardest animals in the shop.

"I would like the keep them.  Here's all the money and thank you." Hermione dropped the galleons and sickles onto the counter before walking out the door with her new companions. They will be useful at least.

Walking off to the inn to meet her friends again before splitting for another week.  She really couldn't wait to talk to them, which was different in her book.

"Another interesting year, let's hope I don't almost die this time," Hermione whispered smirking to herself knowing full well that Weasley and Potter most defiantly will pull her into a stupidly dangerous situation. 

What a great start again indeed.