Year 1 - Diagon Alley

It finally became the day Hermione was almost looking forward to.  Not that she was going to outwardly show her excitement. No, instead she sat there reading through a book like always.  

Hermione was in the living room waiting for the door to ring.  A book may be in her hands, but the words weren't sinking into her mind like usual.  As her mind was elsewhere. Jean came in and stood in front of the sitting girl.

"Now Hermione I know you're excited and I want to give you some extra money for books.  I know you'll want to learn as much as you can before you go off to that school, so here..."  she handed Hermione a pile full of cash.

"Mum, I don't know if pounds would even work wherever I'm going," Hermione looked at the money in her hands.

"I know, but maybe there may be a place there where money could be transferred over...maybe?" Jean questioned herself looking out at the walls not focusing on anything.

"Okay mum, I'll see.  Mum, why won't you or dad come with me?" Hermione asked while pushing the money into her pockets.

"Well Hermione, this is a big shock to us and we don't know if we'll even be welcomed where you're going.  So maybe it'll be safer for you if you go with that nice lady by yourself.  Plus I know you've been wanting more independence now, and this way I know you'll be safe, but still be able to go off...and...err...show more responsibility?" 

"Mum you're rambling.  I will be fine mum, I'm just a little nervous," Hermione stated looking Jean in the eyes.

"Really?! You don't show it much Herms."

"Please don't call me Herms, Mum."

"Okay sweety just..." Jean was interrupted by a knock on the door.  Both froze for a second before Jean walked over and opened the door.

"Hello!" Jean happily greeted McGonagall who stood outside waiting, the old teacher smiled tightly at the woman.

"Okay, Hermione be careful and make sure you get everything you need!" Jean happily hugged Hermione before she walked after McGonagall.

"Bye mum.  Tell dad bye for me, too."  Hermione stated and turned around following after McGonagall down the street.

Jean closed the door and sighed.  Her mind was wandering everywhere at the moment and it was mostly focused on Hermione and the new developments in their life.  Yes, she'll have to talk with Henry soon.  For now, though she thinks of Hermione and hopes that the new world she's about to jump into will be good for her.

_________________________________________________________

The trip was short for Hermione, her mind was racing and the two didn't talk much.  She didn't start fully paying attention until they stopped in front of an inn and bar, The Leaky Cauldron.  Hermione was hesitant to follow McGonagall in but soon did.  

Once inside she took it all in.  It was the first time seeing so much magic being used in one place.  Yes, she saw McGonagall using magic to prove it to her, but this-this was interesting.  Drinks and food being levitated to their proper tables, people doing spells to prove their magic was better than the others, magic-making the food and drinks.  Overall to Hermione it was wonderful.

Hermione was too busy looking at everything she barely noticed that McGonagall was walking away.  She quickly caught back up with her and they both left through a back door leading out to an alleyway that was blocked on all sides.

Hermione stood confused until she watched McGonagall press with her wand a certain pattern of bricks.  Thinking it was important Hermione quickly memoried it, too, just in case.  The wall soon started moving and made an arch revealing shops, stores, and a whole town before them.  Hermione's eyes widened as she took in everything the people, the magic, the shops, and so much more.

"Well, Ms. Granger, Welcome to Diagon Alley,"  Professor McGonagall lightly said and gestured for her to walk through.  Hermione didn't hesitate and quickly took her first steps into her new world and life.