Year 4 - The Beginning

"Hermione, are you okay?" Harry questioned the girl who just left Dumbledore's office from his questioning. It wasn't pleasant since the man didn't seem to like her, but with Sirius there he helped a bit.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Now Potter why are you asking ME that? You were the one that had the most injuries and it's only been a day." Hermione was talking her voice just seemed exhausted.

Harry rolled up his sleeve showing his clear arm, "Pomfrey cleared it up nicely...and since it wasn't a cursed blade or anything like that there's no scar."

"That's good...Harry did they tell you anything about Ced..." Hermione's voice trailed off not finishing his name.

"The funerals tomorrow, here. Today the rest of his families here to say goodbye..." Harry's voice was weak and he looked down sadly.

"Hermione what did you tell Dumbledore?" Harry questioned her trying to get the subject of Cedric away from his head.

"The truth...well I may have left out some...spells...I used."

Harry shallowed, "Good. I left that out, too. Hermione those spells? How...Why?"

Hermione cut him off, "I know you wouldn't understand it...but I find them fascinating. I know you're heavily against using such spells but in all honesty, I'm glad I knew them."

"You're right I don't fully understand...but thank you...if you didn't...I would be, well you know..."

They let silence fill the hall coming to a silent agreement that Harry accepted her as a friend even with her darker tendencies.   

"Well, Potter I believe it's lunchtime and I'm hungry for once," Hermione slugged her arm around Harry's shoulder and they walked to the Great Hall together. 

The next day came quickly and Hogwarts was silent. The sorrow of Cedric's funeral hung in the air, even the Slytherin's didn't have the heart to say a single word.

Everyone was gathered in the Great Hall sitting down in rows sorted by houses. Hermione was in-between Daphne and Draco as they listened to Ceric's parents speaking and friends. It was very solemn and sad. Hermione watched as his parents cried and family, to her annoyance the loudest crier was Cho Chang and she could help feel that it was for attention as her friends comforted her.  Deciding to ignore Cho she felt bad for his family, he was an only child. 

She was more annoyed with the closing statements by Dumbledore who started saying that Cedric was a good wonderful boy, but in the end, ranting that it was Voldemort who killed him and we must stick together in this time as Voldemort returned.

Hermione felt sick at Dumbledore's words. Cedric's parents didn't need to hear that now, during his funeral. She felt Dumbledore stepped over a line. 

Malfoy leaned over and whispered, "He could have waited for that for the end of year speech...this is a funeral..."

Hermione was glaring at Dumbledore and nodded agreeing with Draco, "It's a completely inappropriate time to be saying that."

"And we need to be careful of who to trust..." Dumbledore continued his speech and at those words seemed to drift his eyes to them, the Slytherins, before looking away.

After the man looked away and Malfoy had to question her, "Granger...did you really face off against the dark lord with other death eaters there?"

"Yes...I did. Draco I have to warn you, I don't know if Harry told Dumbledore who was there in the graveyard...but your father was there...and if Harry told Dumbledore...then he's going to try his best making your father gets locked up...be careful and spend time with his just in case Dumbledore gets what he wants."

Draco froze at her words and bowed his head slightly, "Thank you..."

Hermione smiled a pained smile at him before the two focused back on the funeral as Dumbledore finished up his speech walking back to sit down. Soon after many goodbyes to Cedric every disbanded back to their common rooms. Thinking of Cedric and his too-short life.

Three weeks went by and exams were over and soon everyone was back on the Hogwarts express ready to go back home. Hermione was turning walking away from the Slytherin group trying to find one certain compartment, a bit before she could walk off Daphne questioned her.

"Hermione, are you going to sit with us?"

Hermione turned and smiled, "Sorry, but I'm going to sit elsewhere...maybe on the way back from summer break?"

"Yeah...sure..."Daphne pulled her bag closer walking by Theo into their compartment. Hermione found where Harry, Ron, Ginny, Neville, and Luna were sitting and walked in.

"Hey..."

"Hermione. It's so good to see you...you're head seems to be clouded with a cloud...they are attracted to people who have a lot of magic..." Luna spoke as Hermione found a seat next to Ginny.

"Err...thank you Luna," Hermione turned to Ginny, "I haven't seen you in a while, how have you been?"

"I could say the same thing about you. You've actually been cozy with the other Slytherin's recently."

"You could say that... anyway, anyone, have anything interesting to say?" Hermine questioned.

"Besides how horrible I failed the exams...no..."Ron spoke and everyone smirked at him.

"That's good that means my news may be the best thing yet...do you remember Rita Skeeter and her horrible articles about Harry and me?"

Everyone nodded as Hermione continued, "So I figured out a little secret of hers...she's an unregistered animagus, she becomes a beetle to get into places and then turns the truth to a good story.

"Okay, and how does this bring good news to us?" Ron questioned as Hermione smirked a wide smirk and pulled out a jar with a certain beetle in it. The group smiled and cheered.

"BRILLIANT GRANGER!" Harry yelled and Hermione smirked more.

"I know I'm brilliant."

"So I told her if she writes anything nasty about me or anyone of my friends, I'll turn her in...I have all the proof I need. And don't worry I'll let her out once I'm in London." Hermione explained to everyone, but they were to busy taunting the beetle. Hermione just sighed and let them continue.

Harry was the first one to stop and then slid by her. "You okay?"

"Yeah...I'm just not ready for summer...or ready to go back home to Hogwarts either..."

Harry nodded, "I think that this is just the beginning..."

Hermione looked at the boy knowing what he said was true so she sat back and looked outside the window letting time passed by...

Next year is a beginning...even if they were ready for it or not...