Year 1 - Wands and Books

Hermione was in awe at all the boxes everywhere in Ollivanders.  She figured that all these boxes were filled with wands.  Hermione slowly approached the large desk and rang the small bell.  She wasn't shocked once as an old man came around the corner of one of the shelves and looked at her.

He seemed startled at first when he saw her but soon recovered.  "Hello," Hermione softly smiled at the man.  She noticed she's been having to do that a lot today.

"Sorry for a second there I thought you were someone else, but what is your name Ms...?"

"Hermione- Hermione Granger."

"Ahh...and you're parents?"

"Muggles? I do believe that's what everyone here calls people who don't have magic.  Madam Milkins was talking to me about that."

"Oh, no worries dear.  Now, what's your wand hand?"

Hermione confused just raised her right hand since it was her dominant hand.  Ollivander grabbed her arm and started measuring her hand and arm.  Hermione awkwardly stood still as her arm was measured.  Soon he dropped her arm and hurried off behind the shelves and soon came back with tons of boxes in his arms which he dropped onto the desk.

"Now let's start!" Ollivander pulled out a wand from one of the boxes and handed it to her.  She quickly grabbed it, but nothing happened.  Hermione glanced back at Ollivander.

"Now give it a wave!"  Hermione did and behind Ollivander, a full shelf was knocked over with the wands scattering along the floor.  He snatched the wand back up.

"Nope that that one... How about this one."  This process is repeated over and over with something else breaking, blowing up, or nothing happening at all.  Hermione was starting to feel anxious and really just wants to get over this.

Ollivander though seemed to be in deep thought.  "You're really close with Dragon heartstring, but it still feels like something is missing..."  He started staring into her eyes lost in thought.  "Hmm..." he walked off again back into the shelves and he soon walked back with a wand in his hand.  

It was a dark grey, with simple patterns of vines on it except for the handle which was smooth.  It could look light in certain lighting, but it could seem almost black in others.

"Ten and three-fourths inches, Yew wood, Dragon-heart String with small strings of a phoenix tail-feather."  He carefully handed it to her.  She hesitantly took it and as soon as she touched it, she could feel the magic pulsing through her like she could stand on top of the world without fear.  This was HER wand and everyone in the room knew it.  

Ollivander seemed to be lost in thought again looking at her.  McGonagall soon broke the silence. "Now Mr. Ollivander now that we found it, how much?"

"Oh yes, yes ...8 galleons, please! This is so curious..." He said walking away from the desk and Hermoine put the money on the desk and walked out. Hermione was thrilled to have her own wand now.

"Professor McGonagall, could we stop at the book store one last time before I go home?" Hermione questioned almost pleadingly.

"Of course Ms. Granger.  We have about twenty more minutes before we must leave."  Hermione soon walked off to the book store and started digging through the books.  After 15 minutes she was checking out with more books than she could carry and soon McGonagall walked back in to take Hermione home.

The way back was easier for Hermione because she was reading the whole time and for the first time in a long time, she was excited to go somewhere.  Once they got back to the house McGonagall helped set Hermione's stuff by the door.

"Thank you, Professor McGonagall. I can't wait for your class." Hermione spoke and smiled at her again.

"Your Welcome Ms. Granger.  I'll be seeing you at Hogwarts." With that Professor McGonagall walked off and Hermione closed the door behind her.

Hermione soon took everything into her room and looked at all her new books.  She after all only had a month to finish all the books before school started.  She looked out of her room to see if her parents were home and on the refrigerator stood a note.

Got called into work.  We'll be late.  Leftover turkey is in the fridge.  -Love Mom

Hermione didn't mind at all, that means more quiet time to start reading, now where to start...Maybe Hogwarts: A History.