Year 4 - The Hidden Task

"The Yule Ball?" Hermione questioned Daphne who was gushing about the ball that was about a few weeks away.

"Did you not know about it? I mean everyone already had there dresses and robes for it. Can't you just send a letter to your parents for a dress? It's a big event you can't miss it, Granger."

Hermione snorted at the girl, "Did you forget about the article? I doubt they would be thrilled if I wrote them."

"Oh...I didn't realize that was true...I mean Rita is not known for being the most truthful writer."

"Yep, the only part of that article that was true was that. I'm not worried about the dress robes, I'll transfigure something."

"I suppose that works, you are very good at magic," Daphne bent down going through her trunk trying to pull out her dress to let it straighten out and have more room to fluff out a bit more.  

"So you seem excited Daphne...is there someone you hope will ask you to the dance?"

"I hope Theo will..." Hermione quirked an eyebrow at her.

"Have a thing for Theo I assume."

Daphne nodded, "I know its stupid, but he's just so...I don't know..."

"Please you don't have to tell me anything," Hermione stopped her not wanting to hear something as stupid as a romantic crush thing.

"Well, then I won't. But you know you've been around Krum a while and you're the only girl so far he has paid any attention to. I wouldn't be surprised if he asked you to go."

Hermione shrugged, "he's a good friend and I would go with him." Daphne smirked and before she could start in more Hermione jumped up and ran towards the door.

"As much as I love this conversation, I'm afraid I have to meet Harry about the tournament. I hope he had some clue at what will be task will be...but we'll see." She quickly left and sighed in relief once she was out of there. She walked to the library and surprisingly she found Harry Potter sitting hitting his head against a book he was holding. She walked over behind him.

"I assume your struggle is with the egg..."

"Well, Hermione do you know anything about a screeching egg every time you open it?"

"A screeching egg?"

"Yeah, I've tried everything I can't figure out the clue! It just screeches so loud you would want to rip off your ears. I've been trying to figure it out for two weeks and nothing!" Harry threw his head back pouting at his failures. 

"How about I try to figure it out for a bit," Hermione told him and Harry grinned.

"If you can't figure it out then we are completely screwed for the next task."

Hermione smiled at his comment, "So I heard you and Weasel-be made up?"

"Yeah, we did. We had a lot to talk about and I believe he's sorry, even for the buttons."

"That's good Harry. So you know the ball? Who are you going to ask?"

Harry looked down hiding his face, "I was going to try to ask Cho Chang..."

Hermione smiled glad he wasn't one to talk about feels past that. Harry stood up quickly, "Hey I'll go get you the egg before dinner!" Harry was embarrassed at him stating his crush to her and ran off. Sighing she picked up the book Harry was looking through and scowled at it. The information in this book is useless. Hermione returned the books to the shelves that Harry was not going to use again and when she got back Harry quickly gave her the egg.

Hermione reached up about ready to open it when Harry stopped her, "Hey I wouldn't open that if I were you. You may get a year ban on the library. Wait for your common room at least." Hermione nodded and dropped her hand away from the handle that opens it.

"I guess I'll wait."

It was several hours later and Hermione too was just looking at the egg in her common room about to punch herself in the head. She threw one of her books she brought with her across the room as some certain Slytherins walked in.

"Whoa, Granger that book could have killed someone!" Blaze yelled since the book missed him by inches. They were shocked at her, she loved books and if she threw one that means she must be extremely angry. 

"You okay there Granger?" Malfoy questioned and the girl had she laid her head on the desk next to the egg.

"If you know what loud screeching means in an enchanted egg then yes..."

"What?" Daphne asked confused. Hermione decided to show them instead and opened the egg where a loud screech was produced in the room that almost could make someone deaf. She closed it as she saw the others clutching their ears in pain.

"This is a clue to the next task and this is just a puzzle piece I have to solve." 

"Wow, that sucks..." Theo folded his arms and Hermione sighed. I'm going to get some sleep...I'm also leaving that damn thing here, so if any of you notice something well you know." Hermione rushed up to bed ready to sleep off her frustration.

Unfortunately, her frustration only grew as no one could find anything to help her solve it. It was a week later and still nothing and now she was in the library trying to find just one tiny helpful hint. Time passed quickly and another failed day came by. Sighing she was putting up her stuff to go back to the common room when a person walked into the library and walked to her.

She looked up and saw Victor before her. 

"Hey..." Hermione questioned knowing it was a little late for someone to come into the library now. 

"Hey...I wanted to ask you something?"

Hermione nodded telling to ask.

"The Yule Ball I want to ask if you want to go with me?"

"I don't know...I might be consorting with an enemy," she smirked playing around.

Krum smiled, "I'm trying really hard do get information after all. The offer, of course, stands as a way to information."

"Then I guess I have to accept. I do so love information and maybe you have some as well." Hermione smiled and Krum held out his arm for her to take.

"We could talk about this information trading on the way down to your common room."

"That would be lovely yes." Hermione grabbed his arm and she led him where they were supposed to go. Hermione thought that maybe finding out the riddle of the egg can wait till after the dance. She really needed to relax sometimes.