Year 2 - Lockhart and Chambers

The night was stretching on as Hermione dodged into hallways avoiding Filtch while waiting for Potter and Weasley to return.  An hour and a half passed before Hermione grew concerned enough to where she knew she needed to get a professor.  She knew she didn't want to but decided that Lockhart may be the best choice to go to in this situation. 

Her thought process was that Lockhart was a coward and would get higher up teachers to take action.  If she went to Snape he would wait hoping the two idiots were eaten in there.  If she went to McGonagall she wouldn't believe her until too late.  Going with her logic she started to Lockhart's office.

Down the hallways, she went until she stumbled upon an unusual sight.  The professors were gathered around the hall talking.  Hermione quickly disillusioned herself and listened in looking at the writing on the wall.

"Her body will lie in the chamber forever"  Written in blood.  The teachers looked graved and talked about sending the students home.  She looked around the room as they nagged Lockhart to do something as he does in his books.  Hermione rolled her eyes knowing he could do nothing.  Then she noticed small movements following Lockhart.

knowing it was Potter and Weasley Hermione quickly followed after.  Once she knew they were close and the teachers were clear from hearing range Hermione grabbed the cloak and jerked it off.

"Granger!" They whispered surprised.

"Granger!  You were right!  It wasn't Hagrid, but we still don't know what it is...but it's got, Ginny!" Ron almost yelled, but just in case still was quiet.

Hermione paled clues coming together completely now, "It's a Basilisk."

"What?"

Hermione sighed, "A really really large snake.  It's why Harry's been able to hear it and I think I know why... I'll explain later, but we have to get someone."

They nodded and all three took off to Lockhart's office.  Once they opened to door to his office they noticed that the Professor seemed to be packing.

"Going somewhere, Professor?" Hermione raised an eyebrow coldly.  He turned around surprised and grabbed his wand pointing it at them, but not before the three had their wands on him.

"Three against one Professor.  I don't think the odds are in your favor." Hermione smirked and he put down his wand.

"Well, what do you want me to do?  I can't save the girl.  I've lied in all my books.  I just claimed the stories then erased their memories, so no claims could come up about me.  The public wasn't any wiser.  Now I have to go so if you kindly move!"  Lockhart tried to get past them but he was pushed back again.

"Oh, no no no Professor.  I need your help, so you are coming with us and if you try anything you will be the food first before us." Hermione stated and Lockhart nodded believing the Slytherin completely she was after all a Slytherin, but the tone of her voice it wasn't a threat, no it was a promise.

Hermione quickly leads the four to the second-floor bathroom.  They looked at her confused.

"What are we doing here, Granger?"

"From what I found in my research everything just leads here.  The only ghost in the school who's dead is still unknown until now.  The basilisk stare kills instantly, but everyone who was petrified they didn't look at it directly.  Ms. Norris looked in the water on the ground that night and the others, mirror and through a ghost.  A ghost can't die twice so he was petrified too."

"Then how does everything lead here?" Ron questioned. 

"A basilisk is 50 feet long or longer and how do you think it gets around?"

Harry and Ron didn't answer and Hermione rolled her eyes, "The Pipes!"

"Then what do we do to get in?" Harry questioned.

"MYRTLE!" Hermione yelled as a crying ghost floated out of one of the toilets.

"What do you want?" Mrytle pouted upset that she was disturbed.

"Myrtle, can you tell us how you died?" 

"I was crying here because Milly was being mean to me and then I heard a voice...a male voice here.  I opened the door to yell at them to GO AWAY but then I died..."

"The last thing I remember is big yellow eyes over there..." Mrytle finished flying off again.

Harry approached the sink she pointed at and started feeling around the sink.  It took a few moments before Harry backed up.

"It's here!" Harry yelled.

"Well Harry, do something," Ron said pointing.

"Do what?"

"I don't know...the snake talk thing..."

"Parseltongue" Hermione correct while Ron glared at her.  Harry ignored them and focused on the sink.  He whispered in parseltongue asking it to open.

To everyone's surprise, it opened.  The sinks moved out and one sink fell into the ground creating a large dark opening that went down into the unknown.

The four looked down into the darkness.

"Well who wants to go first, I think the idiot Professor, but if the Griffs want to go you can," Hermione said and they looked at each other.

___________________________________________

A.N.- I'm sorry most of the chapter deleted and I didn't realize it until now it should be fixed but any confusion tell me!