Year 1 - Gringotts and Robes

This was wonderful to Hermione, not that she showed it.  She couldn't help but look everywhere, at the people, at the shops, at the food, it was a lot to take in.  She knew she was supposed to be here. 

"Ms. Granger, I do believe our first stop is Gringotts for your money exchange."

Hermione just nodded lightly at the woman and followed her through the crowd.  They stopped in front of a large white marble building that was leaning a bit to the right.  Hermione tilted her head at the building as they both walked in.  Once inside she was shocked to see small creatures gathered on the sides of the room doing work.

McGonagall saw the look in her eyes and spoke, "they are goblins.  They run Gringotts and protect the vaults."  Hermione nodded in understanding as they gathering in front of one of the desks.  Where a goblin looked up harshly from his work.

"Another exchange..." his words were harsh and McGonagall quickly reached her hand out to Hermione asking for the money that her mother had given her.  Hermione quickly reached into her pockets and handed McGonagall the money which the witch almost threw at the goblin, who was sneering at them.

The goblin picked up the money and handed it to another that stood behind him and he walked off.  Hermione awkwardly started watching everything that was happening in the bank.

"This seems to be a very intense system of banking," Hermione stated and both McGonagall and the goblin looked up in shock that she spoke because she barely said anything before.

"Yes, the system we use is close to flawless.  There is no safer bank in the world.  Other's come from around the world because it is the best." The goblin seemed to smirk at his own words.  Hermione nodded at the goblin.

"Hogwarts own personal finance is held at the bank," McGonagall started up a conversation with her.  Hermione didn't reply and was silent again.  McGonagall and the goblin figured Hermione was done with the conversation.

"Is there more people at Hogwarts, like me?  Not knowing magic existed until later?" Hermione directed the question to McGonagall.

McGonagall seemed to soften towards the girl now, but before she replied the goblin came back with three bags of money.  The goblin handed it to the girl.  "Thank you," Hermione smiled at the goblin, and both McGonagall and her left.  Once outside the bank McGonagall spoke.

"Now, Ms. Granger, since Hogwarts is supporting most of your belongs we just have to pick it up.  Now we just have to buy your robes, your wand, and any other supplies you want to get.  We are closer to the robe shop we should stop there first."

"Sure, Professor" they soon arrived at Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions and before Hermione went in McGonagall stopped her.

"I'll wait out here once you're done we will go get yourself a wand." Hermione nods and headed inside.  A woman soon took her over to a small stand and made her stand on it as she was measured.

"Now what year are you, dear?"

"It's my first year at Hogwarts," Hermione talked with the woman with her arms stretched out as she was being measured.

"Really now that means plain black robes with no trimmings.  Once you're sorted you'll get your trimmings."

"Sorted? Trimmings?" Hermione questioned the woman and the woman smiled gently at her.

"Oh, you're Muggle-born.  I bet you want to know as much as you can before you go, don't you?"

Hermione nodded at the woman as she started grabbing and quickly tailoring the robes with her magic.

"Then I recommend Hogwarts History.  It's a dull book, but you'll learn quickly.  Other than that your textbooks tell you a lot about the world, too.  I know you'll have fun at Hogwarts." The woman kept chatting with Hermione until she was completely done finishing up her tailoring of Hermione's robes for school and winter.

Afterward, Hermoine walked out to Professor McGonagall who quickly saw her and walked with her.

"I heard at Hogwarts you get sorted?" Hermione was questioning McGonagall now.

"Yes, but you should wait until you get there to find out about that."

"Madam Milkin's also recommended A Hogwarts History book.  Do you think it will be good for me to get it before I go? Sorry, I'm just a little nervous about this whole thing...and going..." Hermione smiled up at McGonagall.  The Professor soon smiled back at her.

"It's okay to be nervous Ms. Granger, now let's go get yourself a wand."

"Thank you, Professor. I do believe you must be one of the best Professor's at Hogwarts.  You're extremely helpful." Hermione smiled and they walked on to the next shop.