Year 5 - Defense and Detention

Walking into the already filled classroom was interesting. There weren't many changes from the previous years except the teacher's desk which was already filled with pink objects and pictures of cats. Hermione drew attention to the broad which already had writing on it. 'OWLs'

Hermione quirked her eyebrow and sat with Draco in the last empty seat close to the front. They were unlucky, as soon as they sat down to watch the paper bird fly around, that Parvati Patil charmed, Umbridge came in and shot the bird down in flames to land right before Parvati shocked.

"Hem...Hem...Ordinary Wizarding Level Examinations...or commonly referred to as OWLs..." Umbridge started right in talking charming the stack of books to be passed out to each person. Umbridge continued talking as Hermione uninterested looked into the textbook. To her surprise, there were only explanations on what spells are and what they do. There was nothing on what they look like or even how to use them.

"Uhh...excuse me...there's nothing in here about using spell?" Blaze spoke up also looking into his book.

"Using spells...You see there will be none of that in my classroom. The ministry does not want underage wizards practicing spells that are dangerous and unnecessary, so there is no point of using any spells in my classroom." Umbridge explained still smiling.

"We're not going to use magic?" Ron questioned shocked.

"Students raise their hands before speaking in my class!" Umbridge yelled, "And why would you need to use magic in my classroom when we can learn it in a risk-free way. These are dangerous spells so why would we need to practice them."

Hermione spoke up, holding her book to a certain page, "funny I didn't know that Carpe Retractum was such a dangerous spell..."

"Oh, the ministry deems all the spells to be checked and narrow down to the ones that are a need to know bases without having students to use it. It's a risk-free way of learning!"

"I don't see how learning these spells in a risk-free way will help us with who's out there!" Harry was angry and everyone watched.

"And Mr. Potter who exactly would be out there that would have you use such spells?" Umbridge smirked trying to get Harry to explode.

"Oh...I don't know...maybe...Lord Voldemort!"

Silence engulfed the classroom and a few seconds passed before Umbridge walked closer to the students. "Many of you here have heard a rumor of someone being back and just to clarify...this is a LIE!"

Hermione saw Harry about to explode. Harry was already on thin ice with the ministry and she didn't want it to get worse so she stood up, "It's not a lie."

Umbridge turning around looking at the girl clearly not expecting anyone, but Potter to speak.

"And who are you supposed to be to believe such a baseless lie?"

Hermione standing looked her dead in the eye, "I am Hermione Granger."

The look Umbridges eye was one in disgust, "Then let me tell you Ms. Granger and everyone else that this rumor IS A LIE!"

"It's NOT a Lie...I saw him...fought him..." Hermione tried.

"ENOUGH OF THIS! DETENTION TONIGHT! In my office Ms. Granger...eight o'clock my dear..." Umbridge smirked and then turned back to the front of the classroom. "Please turn in your book to page five..."

"Always knew you were a Potter fan-girl..." Draco muttered to her and she glared at him out of the corner of her eye.

"I am not...shut it..."

"You took his place for detention and you're not a fan-girl..."

"Look the ministry is already all over him at the moment and sad to say, but I don't plan to see him kicked out of the school...especially on the first day back."

Draco smirked, "Potter-fan girl..." Hermione kicked him and he scowled at her also most hissing from the sudden pain. This time Hermione smirked and looked down at the stupid and useless book.

----------------------------------------------

Hermione glared at the door not wanting to open it. Snape already got on to her about already being troublesome right after being made a perfect. She really didn't want to face the hag in pink.

Finally realizing she couldn't wait longer, she sighed and knocked on the door.

"Come in!" The high pitched voice said almost to pleasantly. Hermione opened the door and walked in. She looked at the hag not blinking and almost slammed the door closed behind her once she entered.

"Sit! Sit! Ms. Granger..." Umbridge smiled gesturing to the small desk in front of her own.

Hermione sat down as Umbridge put a quill and paper in front of her.

"Lines...that's all?" Hermione quirked her eyebrow at the grinning woman.

"Yes, dear...just lines."

"Well...what do you want me to write?"

Umbridge's smiled seemed to widen, "oh, just 'Filth will not tell lies!'"

"What?" Hermione was shocked that the ministry official would even suggest that.

"Well...dear go on...the sooner you're done with the lines you can leave."

Hermione gritted her teeth at the thought of what the woman was making her do, but picked up the quill thinking she could get back at her later. She stopped as she reach to put the quill on the paper, "you haven't given me any ink nor do I know how much to we write."

"Just write until it sinks in... and you won't need any ink."

Umbridge smiles and turns her back to her taking a few steps away from her.

Hermione grimaced and looked down at the paper and began to write.

Filth will not tell lies...Filth will it tell lies. After the fifth line, her hand itched as she continued writing. The red ink was thick and didn't seem to fade quickly into the paper.

After a few more lines her hand started hurting like crazy. She looked down as she continued to write and saw blood dripping for her hand. She stopped writing and cleared up the blobs of blood and saw a scar on her hand.

'Filth will not tell lies'

Hermione shocked dropped the quill surprised at what she saw and Umbridge turned around and smiled at her.

"Yes..."

Hermione didn't say anything just glared at the woman and held her bloody hand closer to herself.

Umbridge smiled and walked closer to her. "Has it sunk in yet, Ms. Granger...as you know by now...filth and liers must be punished..."

Hermione stood up and walked out of the office quickly. She didn't even bother to close the door behind her.

In her anger, Hermione was muttering.

"She will pay...you Dumb Bitch!" Hermione marched off down to her dorm.