Year 1 - Library and Troll

An entire month has already passed and Hermione was lonely.  She got into a routine of getting up, going to classes, stay in the library until late, and go to bed.  Hermione was getting stir crazy waiting for something different to happen.  

On the bright side the girls in her dorm now instead of petty insults upgraded to just ignoring her on good days, bad days the insults continue.  She didn't know what she preferred, at least with the insults on good days people talked to her.  

Slytherin was already in the lead for the house by a lot and with her always answering questions, quickly gains the house points for them.  With that, it's not like they can insult her much because she already was smarter than most seventh years.  

Waking up this Halloween morning was normal.  She got dressed and was about to leave for the great hall when she started eavesdropping on the others in the common room.

"Hmm... I wonder if we should dress up this year.  I know what I would be...a muggle...it's frightening to be thought of as a muggle." Pansy remarked. 

'I guess it's going to be one of these days.' Hermione thought before walking out and slamming the door behind her.  She quickly went to the great hall to eat once there she noticed that no students were there only the teachers.

McGonagall was leaving when she stopped next to Hermione.  "Ms. Granger, what are you doing up so early?"

"Eating before class," she calmly kept eating.

"There is no class today, Ms. Granger.  Most students are still sleeping in or just lazying around the school."

Hermione groaned at the news. "Well, I guess I'm going to the library then...I'm just waiting until the mail gets here first...."

"Ms. Granger don't forget to have fun sometimes."

"Thanks, Professor. I'll keep that in mind."  Hermione turned and McGonagall walked away.  The owls flew in and Hermoine waited as she did for the past month.  She was a little hurt when neither her mum nor dad wrote her back since her first letter.  She tried again three times, but still no reply.  

Hermione thought since it was a holiday then maybe they would write.  She waited until the last owl left and she lost hope.  Hermione frowned in disappointment and got up to leave for the library.

The library for her became her safe haven, but once the loud Ravenclaw girls came in she usually left again for the dorms for quiet.  Walking into the library she took in a deep breath and smelled the new and old books.

She walked through the shelves looking for something different and towards the back of the library the restricted section sat.  She never went into the section before, but today curiosity got the better of her.  After looking around for madam Prince she noticed that no one was there with her so she quickly opened the gate and walked in.  She tip-toed through the shelves looking at the books.

The books in this section seemed older than the one's upfront and didn't have any title on them.  She was just walking and looking when she heard the noise of the doors of the library opening.  Hermione froze, she had to get out of there.  Not wanting to leave with nothing she grabbed one of the books and quickly left through the gates.  She noticed the girls walking in as the Ravenclaw girls.

Sneering at them as she left, she tucked the book close to her where it wouldn't be too noticeable. She quickly walked back to the dorms and wasn't caught, so once she saw Slytherin's portrait she sighed in relief.

"Pure-Blood" She got out not really looking at the portrait.

Slytherin looked at her and then looked at the book in her hands, "Now, now, what is that?"

"A book, you can clearly see!" she snapped at him glaring at the portrait.

"But what an interesting book. The restricted section," He looked into her eyes with his dark brown eyes scanning her.  "Hmm...I don't recall you being introduced to me with the other first years nor do I remember you for the other years.  Tell me of your family."

"Trust me on this one you won't be pleased with what I say." Hermione sneered at the man.

"What a half-blood," Slytherin commented back to her.

"No, I'm sorry to say that a mudblood has defiled your house," she smirked at Slytherin who said nothing in response.  He just looked at her and opened up to the commons room letting her in.  Hermoine walked in and noticed that the common room was empty of anyone.  Taking advantage of this rare sight she plopped down on the throne chair without hesitation and opened the book to read.

Hours past and she was absorbed in the book when the common room door opened where sixth-year girl students walked in complaining. 

"Great Slytherin is on one of his crazy days," one girl commented.

"I wish he would stop hissing at everyone. We GET IT like you are a Parselmouth, but we seriously can't understand you and just want to get in the dorms." the other girl sighed.

"Hey just be grateful it will likely only last a week.  Now how long are you going to be getting changed the feast is in ten minutes."

"Not long...I swear.  I just want to change my shirt."

"Oh God, we're going to be here forever!" the two girls disappeared into their dorm room.

Hermione closed the book and quickly walked to her dorm and put the book on her bed.  She left for the Great Hall and sat down in the middle where no one else was sitting.  She knew no one else was going to sit by her at least.  

The feast was great and it seemed joy filled the room and for the first time, Hermione felt peaceful while there.  The feast was going great until everyone's eyes were drawn to the doors by a Professor yelling while running in.

"TROLL IN THE DUNGEON! TROLL IN THE DUNGEON!" He paused and then quickly let out, "....I thought you all should know." He promptly passed out after.

'What a great Defense teacher' Hermione sneered at the passed-out professor.  The Great Hall was in full panic mode with students screaming.  Until Dumbledore silenced them.

"Listen!  Students follow your prefects back to your common rooms where you should stay until the word is given otherwise.  Teachers follow me to the dungeon where we will take care of this problem.

There was no way she was going to the common room.  Their common room was IN the Dungeon, so why should she go there.  The other students were getting up and leaving.  When she noticed that Ron Weasley was looking around worriedly.  The boy wonder was nowhere to be found.  When the older brother perfect Weasley went and dragged Ron out of his seat pulling him behind him, Hermione knew something was up.

Hermoine was getting up when something in her stopped her for a second.  'Fine I'll look around for him' Hermione thought to herself.  Besides if she was about to be caught the Disillusionment charm can work wonders...just in case of course.

"Of course, I'm having a Gryffindor moment NOW!" She muttered as she snuck away from the groups going to the common rooms, just to find Potter.