Year 2 - Dueling Club and Finding Information

The next few weeks seemed to be tense in the school and everyone wanted to know what happened to Ms. Norris, why, and who did it.  No one could answer those questions, so the students stuck together in pairs or groups never letting anyone walk alone.  Hermione though was relieved, ever since she and Harry were found by Ms. Norris that night everyone seemed to be avoiding her, even her roommates.  For once there were no annoying people hanging around her even if it was to just insult her.  It was peaceful and really quiet, it was wonderful.

Enjoying the peace and quiet she almost missed the announcement about how all second-year students were to wait in the Great Hall after dinner for an important meeting with them.  Once she paid attention to the announcement she was automatically curious and excited.

The rest of the day seemed to drag on, even in the classes.  Hermione knew that was due to the excitement, but she really couldn't help that.  Time even drugged on throughout dinner and waiting for the other non-second-year students to clear out.  She really wanted to hex them telling them to get out quicker.

Once everyone was finally gone Snape stood up and waved his arm moving the tables and chairs to the walls of the Great Hall making a large clearing.  Hermione's excitement grew until a blond-haired arrogant professor walked in the center.  

Harry and Ron shuffled to where Hermione stood to sneer at the Professor who began to speak.

"Now, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little dueling club, to train you all in case your ever in need to defend yourself as I myself have done on numerous occasions - for full detail see my published works."

Hermione sneered, rolled her eyes, and whispered, "Like Hell, we need any lessons from you.  The most we would learn is to flee at ANY sight of danger."

Harry and Ron nodded to her whispers in agreement, knowing that the Professor is horrible and arrogant.

"Now, Professor Snape will you kindly come up here to show them how it's done with me?" 

Without responding Snape swiftly walked to the center of the hall in front of Lockhart.

"First you bow to your opponent to show good sportsmanship," Lockhart stated bowing to Snape.  Snape paused for a second and bowed with a sneer full on his face.  They turned and walked away from each other turning around pointing their wands at each other.

"On the count of three...one...two...three..." Snape didn't say a word as a spell shot out and hit Lockhart knocking him back onto his face near the back wall.  

"Do you think he's alright?" Daphne asked worriedly.

"WHO CARES!" Harry, Ron, and Hermione said as they watched Lockhart groan on the ground.

"Have to admit Snape right now isn't so bad," Ron stated while Harry and Hermione smirked.

Ron seeing their smirks, "Ugg...Slytherin trait...such a traitor Harry."  Potter laughed at that.

Lockhart soon jumped back up, "Now that's over, now students we would like you to practice disarming and blocking your opponent's spells.  How about a volunteer. Potter and Weasley...yes."

"Weasley would be sent to the hospital wing in a matchbox with that wand...how about someone from my own house...How about Malfoy," Snape countered and Lockhart agreed.  Malfoy quickly moved to stand in the middle on the floor while Harry followed after.

They quickly bowed putting their wands up, "Scared Potter!"

"You wish," Hermione was surprised at Harry's statement she thought he would just stay quiet. They walked to opposite ends turning to face each other wand ready.