Year 4 - The Triwizard Cup

"Yes...the killing curse, as perfectly demonstrated...no counter curse. Just a flash of light and you're gone. But there is one person who has survived the curse...and he's sitting here, in this classroom..." Moody walked in front of Harry's desk and peered down at the boy who was frozen in his seat pale as a ghost. "Class dismissed!"

After that most of the students were already out the door including Ron. Hermione and Harry the last two to leave also walked out of the classroom. Hermione looked at Harry and saw him lost in his head. Knowing Harry must be struggling to grasp what was used on his parents Hermione reached out and grabbed his shoulder stopping him. "Harry...I'm sorry..."

Harry stopped her from saying anything further, "Don't apologize, Hermione. I know why you did that...it-its just that...when I saw that light I remembered my mom's scream and the light from back then. I've heard her scream before when I was against the dementors, but I never had a visual thing with it before..."

It was silent on the stairway for a few minutes before Hermione spoke again, "Harry, I know this might not help but...I've read a lot about the curse and about that night...and...they didn't suffer Harry.  The spell was made to be quick and painless death..."

"How can you be sure?" Harry's voice seemed to broken then. "Since I've been living with Sirius, it's like I know my parents more and more...and I can't imagine what it must have been like. How can you be sure?"

"I just know..." Harry turned and gave her a sad smile telling her that was the end of the conversation and Hermione nodded. They continued down the stairs a little way before they heard a sniffle behind a tapestry. They froze and walked up to it slowly pulling it back to reveal a crying Neville in a hidden windowed seat. Neville was crying into his hands and seemed so broken at that moment.

"Neville..." Hermione and Harry tried to reach out to him, but another person pushed past them and grabbed the crying boy on the shoulder pulling him to his feet.

"Come on boy!" Professor Moody harshly started dragging him off back to his office. Hermione was angry then just seeing the Professor after what he did in class also fueled that rage, too. 

Keeping her tone and actions in check she shouted at them, "Hey!" The two stopped and looked at her. She focused her attention first on Neville then glared at the Professor while talking. "Neville if you are ever uncomfortable with a situation or person you CAN leave...No matter WHO the person or situation is. Don't forget that." 

Moody knew that meant if Neville felt that he was being too harsh on him there nothing that would stop the boy from leaving. His grip loosened on the Longbottom boy if more students decided that he was being off as a teacher this girl would have to problem getting him gone from the school. Neville nodded at Hermione and sniffed one last time before following Moody back to his office.

After they were out of sight Hermione turned and started walking again down the stairs Harry following after confused. "You seem to really not like Moody?" He questioned her looking at the angry girl.

"That man is foul...I can't explain it...but he's just not right!" Hermione was looking to the floor gritting her teeth thinking about that man.

"I wouldn't worry about it too much and are you going to watch the people putting their names in the cup? I heard that it's starting in about an hour and Fred and George believe they found a way to get their names in. It could be fun to watch." Harry asked now curious knowing that Harry must be trying to fill his sadness with the laughter.

Hermione nodded, "yes I plan on going. I just have to drop off my books in my room and I planned to go there right after that so I will have a good seat.  There's going to be a lot of people there after all."