Year 1 - Potions

The potions classroom was not what she expected.  She imagined it as a muggle lab, instead, it has three rows of desks that could seat two people.  The classroom was dark and cold and clear in the dungeons close to where the Slytherin dormitory is.  Hermione took a seat near the back of the class.  She was getting out her books when more students came pouring in.

This class was Slytherin and Gryffindor, and Hermione knew she was in for a rough time. The Slytherins came in they sneered at her and tried to avoid her.  When the Gryffindors came in they did the same, but without the sneers.  Hermione was thinking she was going to be alone but the last of the students came in.  Harry and Ron quickly grabbed the last completely free desk and once Pansy and Daphne came in Pansy rushed and grabbed a seat by Millificent.  Daphne shrugged and sat next to her.

"I'm so sorry Daphne that you have to sit by dirt!" Pansy voiced where everyone could hear.  The rest of the Slytherin laughed while the Gryffindors gave her pity glances even if she was a Slytherin.

Before Pansy could continue her belittling of Hermoine Professor Snape walked in, "There will be little too no foolish wand-waving or silly incantation in this class.  As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science of potion-making.  However, for those of you who do possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses; I can tell you how to brew glory, bottle fame, and even put a stopper in death.  Then again maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel comfortable enough to NOT PAY ATTENTION...." Snape said and then focused on Harry Potter who was writing notes.

"Mr. Potter our new celebrity." Snape drawled out each word.

"Now Mr. Potter, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?  What comes from the stomach of a goat that can save you from most poisons? What is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane? Answering any of them would do Mr. Potter." He sneered at the boy.  Hermione knew the answers, but the questions were clearly directed at Potter.

"I don't know, sir," said Harry quietly. 

"Tut, tut-fame clearly isn't everything... Now can any of the rest of you answer?"  

No one raised their hand, but Hermione to anxious to just sit there hesitantly raised hers. 

"Ms. Granger."

"Asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is called the Draught of Living Death.  A bezoar is a stone that comes out of a goat's stomach that can save you from most poisons.  And monkshood and Wolfsbane are the same plants, also known as aconite." Hermione finished and looked back down to her desk.

"What a textbook answer Ms. Granger, ten points to Slytherin."

"WHAT?!" Ron and Harry yelled.

"And a point will be taken from Gryffindor for your cheek, Potter.  Now shouldn't you all be taking notes!" He finished and everyone took out their papers and started writing.  After finishing up the notes the Professor started explaining the potion they were making that day.

"Now to make this easier for me.  This is a very simple spell whereas you're preparing your ingredients your potion can be stirring.  For those who cannot accomplish the simple spell, you will be stirring your potion the traditional way.  Just tap what you're using to stir with your wand and say Motus.  NOW GET ON WITH IT!"

Hermione already had everything ready and was about to actually start like everyone else, but everything seemed to get her distracted.  Neville's potion started melting, everyone's loud chants trying to get the spell to work, Seamus Finnigan trying to do something with his potion but it was just exploding.  Snape soon had enough and was telling the class to just stir traditionally because he couldn't stand another sound. 

After silence came over the class Hermoine huffed and without taking out her wand told the potion to stir in her mind and it complied.  Daphne was glancing at Hermoine at the corner of her eye watching her.  Hermione soon finished her potion and put it in a vial without even touching anything and sat down and started reading through her book waiting for everyone else to finish and for the class to be over.

Daphne was shocked about how can she already be done.  Daphne herself was struggling, in fact, she was about to put the wrong thing in the potion before Hermione stopped her and nodded towards the beetle heads instead.  Daphne nodded back and continued working and Hermione read on.

"Granger! Why aren't you working?" Snape almost was yelling.  Hermione just stood up and walked to his desk and sat her vial down before walking out quietly.  Everyone was shocked.

"What are you waiting for, get back to work!" Snape snapped at the rest of the class and just sat back at his desk looking at her perfect potion and reminding himself to watch this one closely from now on.