Year 1 - Sorting and Hogwarts

It was nighttime before the train finally arrived at Hogsmeade and everyone started getting off the train. Leaving all her stuff on the train and got off and looked around.  In the crowd, she heard a booming voice. 

"FIRST YEARS FOLLOW ME!"  Hermione follows the large man where he took everyone to what was docks and small boats.

"FOUR PER BOAT AND DON'T FALL INTO THE LAKE!" He boomed again to them.  Hermoine ended up in a boat with Neville and the boys she meets on the train, Harry Potter and Ron Weasley.  Everyone just sat on the boats waiting for everyone to get on their own.  Soon enough the boats took off in the lake where they were left breathless from the sight in front of them.

A huge castle loomed above across the lake where the boats were headed for. Hermoine knew that this was Hogwarts.  The lights lit up the castle in such a way that could only be described as magical.  The trip was too short to Hermoine and they all docked at a small dock and they all followed Hagrid up tons of stairs up to the castle.

They soon walked into the castle and stood in the small hallway where a lady that Hermione knew stood, waiting for them.

Once everyone was looking at the lady McGonagall started talking, "The start of term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses.  The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room."

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours."

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all straighten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." McGonagall finished and walked off leaving them for a bit.

Hermione already knew everything she said, but now she was lost in thought about what house she is going to get.  The more she thought the more she felt a little lost almost.  Her thoughts were interrupted by the boy that called out Harry Potter.  They two seemed to almost challenge each other Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter before McGonagall came back and signaled for the blond-haired boy to go back where he stood before.

McGonagall looked at everyone before opening up a door leading the first -years to the front of the room where students and teachers looked at the new kids curiously.  Hermione started stating facts to the girl next to her about Hogwarts to ease some of her nerves. 

McGonagall placed a stool on the floor and held a hat and paper in her hands.  Soon she spoke, "Hannah Abbott!"

A girl nervously walked to the front and sat down on the chair.  McGonagall placed the hat upon the girl's head.  After a few seconds, the hat seemed to be alive and it spoke.

"HUFFLEPUFF!" It yelled and the girl smiled while walking off to the table that sat below yellow banners.

After a few more people she knew her name was going to be called, "Hermione Granger!"

Hermione walked up to the stool and sat down.  The hat was soon upon her head.  The hat started talking to her in her mind.

'Hmm...interesting..., my- my this is a shock.'

'What is a shock?'

'Nothing Miss...Granger...where to put you?  You're extremely difficult to read almost like another I use to know.  And with what I know it better be...'

"Slytherin!"

Hermione didn't really care what house she got, so she got up and walked to the cheering house.  She did, however, notice that she got a few more glares from the other houses already.  Hermione knew Slytherin didn't have the best representation, but she didn't think it would be already set in stone right away with the other houses.

Hermione sat down next to two girls that were sorted before her.

"I heard what you were saying earlier with that Abbott girl, you're pretty smart.  I was shocked you didn't get Ravenclaw." The dark long-haired girl stated. "I'm Daphne Greengrass. This here is Pansy Parkinson. Sorry about her she's just annoyed that there seem to be more and more half-bloods and mudbloods coming in this year." Daphne started talking to her and pointed to the pouting girl next to her.

"Oh...I'm just glad that my sorting is over with." Hermione nodded towards the front where people were still being sorted.

After a while, everyone was sitting down now eating.

"Figures Potter would be Gryffindor with Weasley.  We should feel bad that a Weasley got to him.  It's just sad, the Potter line used to be so Slytherin before his father and his muggle-born wife, and now the spawn of the two."  The blond-haired boy from before talked.

"I guess the Potter line in Slytherin died long ago.  Such a shame too." Pansy Parkinson talked.  Hermione just listened to the conversation.

"Careful guys with what you're saying we, after all, have a half-blood on our hands," Daphne stated and everyone looked at Hermione.

"It's not often that a half-blood get into Slytherin!" Blaze said from next to Malfoy.

"Yeah...so which side of the family was with magic, mother or father?"

"Neither.  I'm the first with magic in my family." Hermione honestly answered them and everyone in earshot froze.

"Wait, you're A MUDBLOOD!" Pansy yelled out but not loud enough for the other houses to hear.

"What exactly is a Mudblood?" Hermione stared blankly at them.

The people around her turned away to ignore her now and started scooting away from her.

"A mudblood in Slytherin?"

"Impossible."  Everyone was pretty much away from her before Hermione realized what happened.  She read about blood supremacy in a book, but she didn't think it was still relevant today.  Hermione knew she made a mistake by telling them what she was.  She now knew that Hogwarts wasn't going to be as good as she thought.

An outcast in the muggle world and now an outcast here too.  She looked down at her food and now noticed that the other houses were now starting to get wind of the new information.  Everyone now seemed to be looking at her even the teachers.  After all, a mudblood in Slytherin is impossible, but it happened.

Sighing loudly she continued eating through the whispers that seemed to put the Harry Potter whispers to shame.  Maybe coming here was a mistake, but it was a mistake she was going to see through to the end.