Year 1 - Detention and Forest

Everyone was standing in McGonagall's office and Professor McGonagall, in a tartan dressing-gown and hairnet, had Malfoy by the ear and pulled him next to her.  She let go once everyone was standing in front of her.

"DETENTION!" she shouted.  "I'M DISGUSTED!"

"FOUR STUDENTS OUT OF BED IN ONE NIGHT!  I HAVE NEVER HEARD SUCH A THING BEFORE!  AND MISS GRANGER, I THOUGHT YOU HAD MORE SENSE!  AS FOR YOU MR. POTTER AND WEASLEY, I THOUGHT GRYFFINDOR MEANT MORE TO YOU THAN THIS!  THE FOUR OF YOU WILL RECEIVE DETENTIONS!"

"Wait did I hear you say the FOUR of us?" Malfoy questioned confused at her statement.

"No, you heard me right Mr. Malfoy, you too were out of bed.  This also calls for 70 points from Slytherin and 150 points from Gryffindor."  McGonagall stated.

"WHAT 150! PROFESSOR YOU CAN'T!" Ron shouted shocked.

"Don't tell me what I can and can't do, Mr. Weasley.  Now get back to bed, all of you!  I've never been more ashamed of Gryffindor and Slytherin students."

The four left not saying a word.  Hermoine was upset with herself for what happened and just walked to the common room and went straight to bed.  Hermione wouldn't be getting any sleep this night.

The next day McGonagall informed the four of them of their detention.  They learned it would be with Hagrid later on that night.  That day was horrible for all four, everyone was giving the cold shoulder to them, even Malfoy was barely being spoken to.  Hermione felt no different because this was usual behavior for people around her. 

The night approached quickly and Filtch collected and led them to Hagrid's hut where he stood outside waiting for them.

"Hello, Hagrid," Harry said happily. 

"Hello, 'arry!"

"What is exactly our detention Hagrid?" Ron questioned as Filtch walked away back to the castle.

"Oh, we're going to be looking for something in the forest, a unicorn!" Hagrid stated.  "You see I took a walk after No-Norbert was sent off and I found some unicorn blood.  We need to find it to help it."  Hagrid explained as night noises rose into the air.

"WAIT! YOU WANT STUDENTS TO GO INTO THE FOREST!" Malfoy shouted. "WE CAN'T GO INTO THE FOREST!  THERE'S WEREWOLFS!" a howl was heard in the night sky. "MY FATHER WILL HEAR ABOUT THIS!"

"And what will you say? The reason Why you had detention?" Hagrid questioned and Malfoy's face burned a little. Malfoy didn't say another word.

"Err...I kinda agree with Malfoy on this one.  The forest is dangerous," Hermione stated, looking at the three.

Hagrid ignored her and started walking into the forest with Ron and Harry quickly following after. Hermione sighed, "I can't believe we have to do this!"

"I couldn't agree with you more Granger," Malfoy looked at her and the two followed after them with Hagrid's dog trailing behind everyone.

After walking down the forest path for a bit following a small blood trail the trail seemed to split two ways.  The group stopped and Hagrid looked, the blood seemed to go both ways.  Hagrid sighed. 

"Listen we have to split up.  Harry, Draco, Hermione you take that path and if anything happens, shoot up some sparks and I'll come to get you.  Ron and I will go this way.  You can have Fang, but warning he's a coward." Hagrid started stomping off with Ron paling and following after.

"I can't believe we have to split up!" "This is so dangerous!" Malfoy and Hermione complained while they started following Harry down the path.  Soon the small group was talking about everything that was going on.

The forest grew quieter until no sounds were heard.  Hermione noticed and stopped talking as Harry and Draco kept arguing.  Hermione thought she heard something in front of them by one of the trees.

"Will you guys shut up!" Hermione whispered angrily and the two stopped talking.  Soon they heard the noises too and the group approached it slowly.  In front of them was a dead unicorn and above it sat a dark figure in a black cloak.  The group paled and started backing away.

Harry stepped on a twig and the figure looked up at them with blood dripping down its chin, the only visible part on the body.  The figure seemed to glide towards them.  Malfoy and Harry tripped and fell onto the ground trapped.  Hermione quickly took out her wand and shot up a spell to signal for help.

The figure was still slowly approaching Malfoy and Harry.  Hermione walked in front of them and stood with her wand raised at the tall figure.  It froze and looked over at her form.  Her eyes seemed to burn with a danger that another step would mean certain doom.  Before Hermione could even get a spell out another figure jumped from behind them and started attacking the form.  It was a centaur.

The figure soon disappeared and the centaur walked over them the three. "You're safe now young ones."

"What-what was that thing?" Malfoy questioned the two boys face was pale with disbelief.

"That was a dark creature, a creature that you would know Mr. Potter."

"Voldemort," Harry whispered and the centaur nodded.

"Now let's get you young ones back where you should be," he said and the three followed along and listened as the centaur spoke.  Soon the three were back with Hagrid and Ron where they all got out of the forest and back to the castle.

The two Slytherins were walking back down when Malfoy spoke, "Hey Granger! Thanks!"

"It was nothing Malfoy.  I personally don't want to deal with any repercussions if anyone of you died.  So the logical thing is to save you lot from...well...you know."

"Still Granger thanks."

Hermione nodded and the two continued walking never to speak of this moment again.

That night Hermione's brain may have been racing but sleep took over quickly silencing her thoughts for another day.