Year 3 - Patronus

The next few weeks were lonely for Hermione. She heard that Gryffindor didn't win against Hufflepuff because of some Slytherins Malfoy and friends, which ended up with Harry falling off his broom and into the hospital wing.  She tried to visit his but was greeted by Weasley yelling at her to stay back since her cat ate his rat.

The week after that Harry was able to get his broom back for the quidditch final against Slytherin and gladly won.  Hermione being smart with not wanting to meet up with Ron again wrote Harry a congratulations card with how happy she was he was able to get the snitch, but in a more Slytherin way to not sound so sappy.

When she still never got a reply back from Harry she was about to give up until surprisingly Harry came and found her in the library.  He grabbed a random book and sat down next to her.

"Hey...Hermione..."

She didn't glance up, "Hey..."

Harry sighed and put down his book now fully looking at her, "I'm sorry.  I wasn't thinking and you were just trying to make sure I was safe."

"I was.  I assume that Weasley doesn't feel the same way since you're the only one here."

"Yeah...well, he found some red stain on his sheet and firmly believes your cat ate his rat."

"That doesn't make sense.  Cats don't talk how on earth would he get into the Gryffindor Common room." Hermione argued and Harry raised his arms defensively.

"I thought the same thing."

It was silent for a few moments before Hermione looked at Harry again, "thank you...you know for not totally giving up on me."

"Yeah...well, there's another thing..." Harry rubbed the back of his head and Hermione glared at him.

"What are you trying to drag me into."

"Professor Lupin want to give me some lessons to where I can learn how to do a Patronus.  And well to make it more school appropriate to make sure there are no favorites I can bring a friend.  I thought since Ron would just look at it like more school work and I know you love to learn especially spells...maybe you would like to learn with me?"

"Potter, you actually are asking me to do something that is not life threatening and it's for learning.  Potter, I'm so proud right now, of course, I will go." Hermine smirked and Harry playfully pushed her knowing her teasing.

"You know Potter, weirdly, I missed you a bit these past few weeks.  It's been quiet... too quiet." Hermione finished and grinned.

In the middle of the week, Harry and Hermione found themselves in Lupin classroom ready to start the lesson.

"Alright, Ms. Granger, Mr. Potter ready to begin."  The two nodded at the Professor.

"Now since it is too dangerous to use an actual Dementor we are going to use a boggart."

"Professor Lupin, my boggart is not a dementor how will that work for me?" Hermoine questioned.

Lupin smiled slightly, "You see Ms. Granger I believe that fear is of the mind.  In class, I said it will show your greatest fear and at that time everyone started thinking of what their greatest fear is.  That doesn't mean that that was their only fear only the fear they truly believe at that moment.  So if you can picture a dementor and the fear there, the boggart will show a dementor.  Get it?"

The two nodded.

"Here I'll say this about a dementor to help out a bit.  A dementor is bad not because of death it's because of your soul.  You can exist without your soul, as long as your brain and heart are working.  But your soul has everything that makes you...you.  You'll have no sense of self, no memory, no...anything.  You can't ever recover from that.  You would just exist, like an empty shell, and your soul is gone forever...just lost." Lupin said while looking off into the distance no focusing on anything.

The two students seemed to actually be processing this and Hermione even was a bit bothered by Lupin little talk to them.

"Now the Patronus charm is a bit complicated than normal spells.  You have to use your mind to where you focus on one thing while doing another.  Dementors everything around them is like death and despair and what would be the opposite of that...Happiness.  While everything around you seems like everything is falling apart, your mind will remain in a more stable state."

"So you must think of your happiest memory while just pointing and saying Expecto Patronum while keeping that memory in your mind.  Now you two think of your happiest memory and we can begin,"  Lupin finished.

Harry seemed to nod at Lupin, "Okay, now step up Harry."

Harry Pointed his wand at the bag when Lupin opened the bag a dementor started creeping out.  Harry pointed and started thinking then yelled out Expecto Patronum.  In the end, Hermione watched Harry collapsed on the ground.  Lupin quickly got the boggart back into the bag and closed in while waking up Harry.

"Here eat this," Lupin gave Harry some Chocolate.  

"Sorry..." Harry sighed and looked down.

"There's nothing to be sorry about.  Not a lot of people can actually do this spell.  Now, Harry, can I ask what memory you thought of?"

"I-I thought of the time I first rode a broom," Harry looked down embarrassed and Hermione rolled her eyes a bit.

"A fine memory.  But why not try a different memory made one that changed your life forever.  Now let's give you some time to get back in order.  Ms. Granger, you're up."

Hermione jumped up quickly and stood in front of the bag, wand ready.

"Okay, Ms. Granger ready...1...2...3..."

The dementor came out quickly this time reaching out to her.

"Expecto Patronum!" but nothing happened and she tried again until it was almost to her when Lupin took control over the situation again.

"Sorry...I guess the memory wasn't good enough..." Hermione rubbed the back of her head.

"No, no it's fine Ms, Granger you can try again right after Harry.  Harry..."

Harry nodded and stood back up ready and determined. Once Lupin opened up the bag the dementor again took off after Harry.  Harry looked up and yelled, "EXPECTO PATRONUM!" This time there was a large shield and it pushed the creature back into the bag.

"THERE YOU GO HARRY! YOU DID IT! It may not be corporal but it will do what needs to be done," Lupin yelled happy that Harry did it.

"Now Harry what was your memory if it's okay for me to ask?"

"When I got my Hogwarts letter and when I was sorted in Gryffindor...I was really happy and it really has changed my life for the better." Harry smiled at Lupin.  

"Now Ms. Granger would you like to try again before it's too late and you both have to get back to your dorms," Lupin asked and Hermione just looked down at her hands.

"Sorry Professor, I don't believe I'll be able to do this spell.  I don't really have another memory I could use."

"Why not just try thinking of the time you were sorted or just learning of this world?"

"You see Professor that was the first memory I used.  I thought about the time I got the letter, but it wasn't that life-changing...I always knew I was different...special in a way.  So it didn't work.  And my sorting...it wasn't pleasant I mean a muggleborn in Slytherin there wasn't even claps just glares and whispers.  I really don't have anything that I could use Professor...sorry..." Hermione looked down embarrassed.

"It's fine Ms. Granger...now off  you bed you two..." Lupin waved them off with a pity look at the girl. 

Once in the hall Harry and Hermione had to go in opposite directions. "Night Potter"

"Night Hermione..." Harry watched as one of his best friends left and realized that he really knew nothing about her past and what she's been through.  There has to be a reason why she stays over the Holidays and dreads going back home...maybe he should try to be a better friend in the future...' Harry thought and took off too.