Year 3 - The Boggart

In all honesty, Hermione was having a much better day than the day before.  Last night once Hermione was back in the common room she was determined to actually do more harm to Daphne.  It actually took Malfoy convincing her that it wouldn't be to her benefit to make her stop.

"Look, Granger, you only got away with what happened today because Professor Trelawney wasn't in there and no one was going to jump in her defense.  I highly doubt if you do any other thing to her you would get away with it."

"Why would you care Malfoy," she glared at him harshly very angry at every turn of events that has transpired that day.

"Look Malfoy she's been horrible to me for a while...it's about time she gets her due."

"You're right Granger she deserves it, but she's also an idiot.  It's obvious to this whole bloody school that if you wanted to hex everyone here you could do it with no problems.  Greengrass also knows this and in all honesty, she's scared to death to even come back to the common room.  Think of this Granger she already extremely frightened instead of acting more just sit on that fear."

Hermione quirked her eyebrow interested in what he was proposing she do instead.

"Fear is a very powerful thing Granger and if you don't attack her tonight or sometime in the near future, she will be very confused and that fear will just raise as she just waits for you're 'plan' you have for her.  Don't be a Gryffindor Granger treat this situation like a Slytherin.  Keep her guessing."

"Well Malfoy, you drive a hard bargain I guess I'll do that...I do prefer not to lose us house points.  Not that it will matter when Dumbledore jumps in giving the Gryffs. all the house points needed to pass us."

Malfoy sighed in relief that she agreed not to go after Daphne to hard, "Good then I'm off to dinner.  I'm assuming you won't be eating?"

"You would be correct Malfoy...good day..." Hermione walked off to her dormitory.

Thinking back on it Hermione had to admit that seeing Daphne's face when she got there so startled made her extremely pleased.  It was even better when she started checking everything before using it or picking it up.  Her jumpiness just made Hermione smirk in delight.

Thinking back to that night as she walked to the defense classroom made Hermione smirk again in the hallway.  Once she got into the classroom she walked up to where Harry and Ron were standing since all the desk were pushed away.  She stood next to Ron who jumped, "What the Bloody Hell!  When did you get here and how?!"

Hermione raised an eyebrow at him, "I walked."

"Do you think this professor will really be better than the other years?" Harry questioned looking over to her.

"Well, the desks are gone which means we may actually be doing spells.  So he's already better."

Harry grinned at stood back up as the classroom door opened again and walked in Professor Lupin.  

"Hello, class!"

"Hello..." the student's voices droned out.

"Now to make the first class of the semester exciting we are doing this," he points to a wardrobe and suddenly it starts shaking making a few students jump.

"Can anyone guess what is inside here?"

No one said a word, "No! Then it's a boggart!"

"Now can anyone tell me what a boggart is?... Yes, Ms. Granger!"

"A boggart is a creature that changes form to whatever fear the person it's facing fears the most.  No one has ever seen it's true form."

"Very good Ms. Granger.  Ten points to Slytherin."

"Now students will face your biggest fear.  To counter this creature you must remember two things, the spell which you just point and say 'Ridiculous' and you must picture something that amuses you while doing the spell."

The class started chatting excitedly. "Now how about a volunteer to go first how about Neville!" 

Neville nervously walked up to the cabinet. 

"Now tell me, Neville, what is your greatest fear?"

"Pro-Professor Snape..." The class laughed and Lupin smirked.

"Now you live with your grandmother correct.  Then how about this..." Lupin whispered into Neville's ear and he nodded.  Lupin then backed up and slowly unlocked the cabinet.

Professor Snape slowly walked out and faced Neville. Neville nervously held up his wand pointing it at him.  Before the version of Snape walked closer Neville shouted, "RIDICULOUS!" Snape's outfit changed to an old woman's wear.  The classroom filled with laughter including from the Slytherins.

"Good! Good! Neville!  Now let's get this rolling get in a single file line and begin." Lupin shouted and turned on some music with his record player. Hermoine was shoved to the front of the line but still behind others.

Hermione watched as Seamus faced a Banshee, Dean a severed hand, Lavender a bloody eyeball, Crabbe and Goyle Jokingly enough some healthy food of fruits and vegetables. Ron even faced a spider and Hermione started thinking...what would be her biggest fear.

When she was younger it would have been ... failure, but that has already happened multiple times so she honestly didn't know.  She was zoned out so much with thinking that when she was pushed forward to face the boggart she wasn't prepared.

Hermione let her mind go blank and the thing just kept shifting for a while until it took a form.  The form of her mother.  Her mother started speaking, "Hermione ... I know you know the truth now.  Are you really that frightened over it?  It would just be a shame if the others were to know..."

Hermione didn't hear the other boggarts speak so she knew that it was in her head.

"I mean really do you really think we care for you...really...with what you are!"

Hermione shook as she raised her arm pointing the wand in her mother's face, "Do shut up! RIDICULOUS!"

Her mother suddenly transformed into Daphne and Pansy being beaten over the head by flying books.  The class laughed, but Hermine just walked quickly over to the back of the classroom and leaned against the wall pretending to be emotionless. 

Hermoine was trapped in her head she didn't even notice the commotion Harry caused until the end when Lupin jumped in front of Harry's boggart.  Lupin's boggart changed into what seemed to be a circle.

The commotion was over quickly and everything returned to normal as Lupin dismissed class for the day.  Hermione didn't hesitate and quickly left head back early to her common room to clear her head.

'Why couldn't I just have one normal day,' Hermione thought as last as she walked hoping for at least one good day.

___________________________________________

Whoo I updated!  Hope you enjoyed this chapter! I try to keep the chapters up above 1000 but not too high either!