Akaashi Keiji - Lost in - What Word? Pt 4

AU: Single(?) Parent

Requested (Ya'll. Really?)

Tags/Warnings: Fem! Reader, Time skip spoilers, short fluff

Word Count: 1.1k+

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

In a household with two women and a young child, there are just a few things that aren't said, and a few more that are. For instance, Yukie —who you found out was the manager of Akaashi's volleyball team in high school. Wow, small world— was often called "Okaa" with the occasional "san" honorific tied to the end by Naoko. She would laugh, saying something along the lines of that being way too formal, but Naoko still would, even if others his age wouldn't. Yukie was a mother to him after all.

"Mama" was the more commonly used word, used when Naoko was calling for you.

There was one word though, that didn't land on your ear quite right when your son yelled it through your shared apartment.

It was a sunny day, hot enough that the windows were open and cicadas screamed from their perches on building walls and telephone poles. Naoko ran around the living room, waiting for your guest to arrive as he bumped his volleyball at a low height. The tv played quietly in the background of his excited chants. Yukie was out for the day.

You dropped some strawberries onto the tray on the kitchen counter before grabbing a cucumber from the fridge and cutting into it.

A two-women household had a certain vocabulary for sure. "Otaa-san," wasn't in such vocab. It wasn't something you heard, ever. Despite the initial shock of the word coming from your son's mouth, it was quickly followed by an even louder cheer of "Dad!"

Your hand stilled, holding a sharp knife in the air with the tip dangling just above the wooden cutting board. Your breathing stopped and your heart began to race.

You should hear the man's voice as he chuckled and kicked off his shoes. "Hey, buddy," a huff and shuffling. "Where's mom?"

Your arm tensed, cutting the cucumber you held with a sharp thump against the wood beneath it. The breath you held stuttered its way out of you. It suddenly felt much hotter, even with the summer heat.

"In the kitchen." You could hear Naoko say, followed by a single set of shuffling slippers.

You turned as he became visible in the door frame. "Keiji."

He bounced Naoko in his arms, giving the kid an uncertain side-eye and patting his back. Akaashi set the boy down, letting him run to the couch where the pre-game ads were running. "Sorry, about that."

Wide-eyed, you leaned to look over Akaashi's shoulder. Naoko sat cross-legged on the couch, swaying side to side with his volleyball in his lap as the team lineup started and the national anthem played. Standing straight with an anxious smile pulling at your face, you set the knife down and raised your arms up for Akaashi to step into them.

As his warm hands hit your sides, you let your arms fall over his shoulder. "Don't worry about it." You tried not to smile against his shoulder. "Now, I'm gonna finish making some snacks." You pulled away, placing your hands on his shoulders, playing with the grey fabric. "You're gonna sit with your son as the game starts, and afterwards we'll finish editing for Tenma."

"Do you want any help?" He tried to keep his voice calm and slow. A rush of heat built up under your fingertips before becoming visible on the apples of his cheeks.

A broken whistle of air blew out of your nose and you tried not to laugh. "Go"

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

As most sports games run late, and volleyball's time limit is non-existent, by the time the game finally came to a close Naoko was dozing off. Tired from the day's excitement, the boy's head flopped to the side, landing on the stiff surface of Akaashi's arm.

Smiling, you grabbed the plates off the coffee table and made your way to the kitchen. "Do you mind putting him to bed? I'll take care of the dishes."

Akaashi could see your eyes glitter as they took in the image of your son cuddling up to his adoptive father. "No problem."

When Akaashi came back to the living room, you were scribbling down notes as you flipped through the most recent script Tenma had given you. He took his seat again, lipping his lips in thought as he stared at the black laptop screen in front of him. Gulping some air, he was about to speak when your voice caught his attention instead. Only then did he realize you were staring at him, and the gentle curve of your grin made him lose track of his words.

"He in bed?"

"Ya, he called me Papa this time."

Your heart fluttered as he looked down, flustered. Closing your notebook, you dropped in next to Akaashi's computer and sat sideways, resting your head against the back of the couch. Pulling his glasses off from the frame, he placed them on your book before mirroring your position.

You held his eyes for a moment, taking in the familiar colour. "He looks up to you. So much." Your cheek pushed against the fabric of the couch as you smiled. "I'm so happy that you're around, you know."

He shuffled closer, taking your hand in his warm palm, caressing the back with his thumb. "It must be a bit weird for you though, right? Suddenly having me around in your life."

"Maybe a bit weird. But I'm glad."

The slight curve of his lip made your stomach stutter. "You're okay with him calling me 'dad' then?"

"I thought I—"

"I want to hear you say it. I want you to be confident in your choice, be confident in me." he dropped his hand to hold your cheek instead, making the skin feel incredibly warm.

You slowly sucked in a cold breath, trying to quell the nerves that tried to stab at your heart. "I wouldn't want Naoko to have anyone else as his father. If given the choice, I'd find a way to choose you every time." You dropped your gaze to his empty hand, making a reach for it.

Years as a single mother, though empowering in its greatest forms, can be draining. You've lasted so long with just yourself and Yukie's help. Consciously adding another person to the equation made your head hurt and heart squeeze with worry. Sometimes you wish your mom had come to japan with you, for guidance.

Akaashi's eyes seemed to burn into your skin. You felt like an ant at the sun's mercy. "Please choose us too. I don't think my heart could take it if you left our lives now."

The work went left untouched.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

I finished One piece and watched 2.43 this week (week of publication). I'm not being very productive. - Bacon

Posted: 28/03/2021