Kageyama Tobio - Sunflowers

AU: Royal x commoner, Kingdom

Requested

Non-Binary (Gender Neutral) reader, fluff

Word Count: 1K

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•

"Meryl! Set out the flowers!"

"What? Why?"

The lady running the flower shop swiped her dirt covered hands along her apron.

"The Prince and his partner are coming into town!"

The local kingdom streets were bustling around as everyone prepared for the royal's arrival.

"(Y/N)'s coming? It's been a while since we've seen them around."

"King Koushi has been sick recently, (Y/N) has been staying there to help."

(Y/N) worked in the town's stable, helping travellers settle in and move out. The first thing they'd see would be the smiling face of the town's most prized member. It was at the stable where they first met. The prince and the town's own commoner. No one was around to see the meet-cute of the century, but everyone believes it to have been the most heartwarming interaction ever.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•

"Your highness, try not to move, your boot's caught."

"Don't tell me what to d-"

You had found it difficult not to laugh at that particular moment. The memory that was held in the walls of the town stable was always at the forefront of your mind as you rode by. Tobio sat next to you, wearing his more modest clothes meant for traversing the roads outside the castle. He sent a glare your way.

"Stop it."

"Stop what?" You huffed happily.

"I know what you're thinking and if you say any word-"

"What, too embarrassed about falling off your horse?"

"I was flustered and you weren't help-"

"Flustered? Do I fluster you Tobio?"

You could hear the coachman laugh, making Tobio grumble and give you an endearing pout that is so rarely seen.

You patted his knee before leaning back into your seat and looking out the window.

"Cheer up, we're picking up flowers for your parents, and I don't think the vast majority of people would like to see your gloomy face. They'll think Koushi died!"

To your surprise (and not that of the eavesdropping coachman), Tobio rested his head on your shoulder. His arm wrapped around yours, fingers reaching to fiddle with the end of your shirt's sleeve. You sighed but moved your head to give him more room.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•

The town's people sent the two of you waves and smiles as you walked through. The flower shop had their best flowers laid out, something you knew they only did when royalty came around, and Meryl stood ready for your arrival.

"We've prepared you with our finest flowers, a bouquet of pansy, salvia, and cyclamen as requested."

Tobio nodded, taking the bouquet with an awkward but gracious smile.

You looked at the cool coloured bunch of flowers before looking back into the shop.

"Meryl, could we maybe add a few sunflowers to the bouquet? King Daichi will be giving these to Koushi, I think they would add a bit more meaning to the flowers and the colours would match well."

Meryl, who had been looking nervous the whole time, gave you a gracious smile. You could tell she had been wanting to change the arrangement Daichi had requested but didn't want to do something out of line.

"That's a great idea, (Y/N). Especially for the kings. I'll go do that now." She hurriedly took the flowers out of Tobio's grip and ran inside to do the additional touches.

From outside the window, you could see her mom laugh at her nervousness. Sure, the prince was intimidating, but you had known Meryl and her family for years. Her mom seemed to think the same thing, and sent her out, finished bouquet in hand.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•

"King Daichi, Prince Kageyama and (Y/N) are back from their trip into town," one of the knights called from the study's entrance to the King, after being notified about their presence by the gates.

"Oh thank god, please send them my way. I'll be heading to Koushi in a minute."

Nodding the knight hurried off as Daichi gathered his papers and made his way through the ornate hallways to the bedroom that Koushi had been spending that past few days in. Past the many painted portraits that hung on the walls and outside the room's entrance Daichi waited for the hurried footsteps of his son and surrogate child coming toward him, flowers in hand.

"Sunflowers? I didn't ask for sunflowers."

"Sorry it was my idea," you sighed, digging your heel into the polish floor.

Daichi laughed, before happily accepting the flowers. He gave you a thankful nod and opened the door for the three of you to enter.

Koushi sat upright on the bed, book in hand, as he tried not to nervously bite his nails.

"Sweetheart, don't bite your thumb off."

Koushi shot the other King with an annoyed look. "Do you want me to bite yours o- are those flowers?"

You pulled Tobio to the chairs at the side of the room, sinking into the cushions as you silently observed the couple. Tobio just cringed, making you slap his arm.

"Uh ya I chose them out for you."

"And made the kids go do your dirty work." Koushi gently took the flowers out of Daichi's nervous hands, "thank you though, it was very kind of you to think of me."

Daichi began to retort, saying that he was always thinking of his lover. Tobio nearly gagged next to you, encouraging an elbow to the side being supported by the glare.

"What?"

"If I ever get a cold you better treat me like that or I'm leaving."

He huffed, "and if I ever get sick it'll be because of watching my dads flirt."

You stifled a horrid laugh. Deciding the better option in your mind, you leaned over the armrest placing a quick kiss to the prince's cheek and resting your head on his shoulder.

"I think you'll make a great king, you know?"

He bounced his shoulder a bit. "Only if I have you by my side."

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•

I hope this was sufficient But overall I think it was cute and fluffy, so I'm happy with it. Also writing for a non-binary character in the third person can be difficult, and although I wrote it primarily in second, practicing such writing to make it less wordy and repetitive is actually very educational and I hope to try it more in the future for larger bodies of paragraphs and works. -Bacon

Posted: 05/08/2020