Iwaizumi Hajime - Pearlescent Pt 3

Au: Merpeople

Au: Merpeople

Requested (kind of)

Tags/Warnings: GN!reader, Swearing, minor character death (age).

Word Count: 1.9k+

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

"We have to go visit your grandmother this weekend."

"We?" You asked your mom over the kitchen table. "I sort of had things planned, but I suppose I could do them another time."

Iwaizumi probably wouldn't mind. A day away wouldn't hurt.

"Just Saturday. You can have Sunday to do whatever. We'll just need extra hands."

"Ah." Boxes pilled up in the living room. Your mom had begun packing over the course of your time visiting her, and they were adding up. "So it's almost time, then?"

"Afraid so."

You took a slow breath in and looked down at your half-finished breakfast. Quickly, you swallowed another bite. "It's to be expected. People age, grow old, forget, then waste away before they die."

"Your grandmother isn't wasting away. She's just... tired."

"Mom. It's okay. I don't know her all that well anyways."

"I know. Maybe you would have known her better if your father hadn't just disappeared and I was less bullheaded. But it's okay to be sad about it. I know I am." She finished her last bite of food, dropping her plates by the sink before chugging down a glass of water.

"It's not that I'm trying not to be sad. It's more that I've gone through the grieving process already. I already knew."

Your mom sighed, picking up your plate and stacking it on top of hers while you lifted up your last piece and plopped it into your mouth. She sniffled, looking over her shoulder. "She's the last bit of your father that is around. While we're there, how about you keep her company? Ask questions. It'll keep her distracted while I move things out."

"She's not dead yet." You chuckled.

"I know, but... there won't be much time for us to stick around here when she goes." Her phone rang. "Time to go to school. I got to take this call."

Before you ran out the door, you refilled your glass and chugged back every last drop with a satisfied sigh.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

Hanni was wrapped over your shoulder when you got to class, panting from running down the hall to get inside before the bell. Like normal, everyone was chattering.

You huffed. "Do you have water?"

"Yep." Hanni reached into the open pocket of her bag to pull out a large sports bottle, placing it on your desk.