Kyoutani Kentarou - Mismatched

Au: Regular

Au: Regular

Requested

Tags/Warnings: GN!Reader, Idiots that aren't into dating are forced to go on dates, Platonic relationship, dialogue-heavy, Swearing, and strangers being weird.

Word Count: 11k+

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

You weren't entirely sure what you were expecting when you walked into the club room that evening. Maybe a quiet environment with the winter sun shining through the window with a golden light. Or perhaps, your co-writers and designers passionately discussing what should be done for this month's journal. What you did find yourself walking into, though, should've been what you were expecting as it was the same every week.

The club leader, Fuji, who also was in charge of page layout and organising printing, was writing on the chalkboard at the front of the classroom while other students were spread around the room. The first years sat in a circle playing a card game and screeching at each other as one person stole away the lead from another. Toward the window, you saw your writing teammate as he scribbled down notes in a small book.

"Hi Takahashi," you said, sliding into a chair in his vicinity.

Looking up, he gave you a round, cheeky smile and nod, before writing again.

"Alright!" Fuji dropped the piece on chalk, making it break in two when it hit the metal ledge at the bottom of the board. "The 3rd-years on student council have enlisted our help for a project as we graduate. As Valentine's day and White day occur just before exam period, they want this project to be thoroughly planned out before school ends so that there's no interference when they examine the results and pass down the mantle to the second years."

The romance month. You were familiar with the concept although never really participated in it yourself. Valentine's day was traditionally the day that, usually, girls would confess to their male counterparts, followed by a month of courting before it was the boys turn to confess to their female counterparts, whether they were different or the same. You tried not to yawn. It was a relatively straightforward concept, even now the specifics of the rules became muddled. One person confesses on February 14, and then the other responds on March 14. Simple. So what were these scheming 3rd-years planning?

Fuji continued, "While the student council, specifically the event's committee branch, will be handling all the technical portions, they have asked us to write up an article and run reminders about the event occurring. Kaito, Rin, that will be your job."

Kaito slumped, rolling backwards and away from his circle of friends and the wide-eyed girl next to him cheered, throwing her cards in the air, and subsequently forfeiting the game. A card landed on Kaito's nose.

Your brow pinched, and you raised a hand. "Fuji, if this is purely a social event thing, what do the rest of us have to do with it?"

"Test subjects," she said as if it was obvious.