Hinata Natsu - Practice Makes Perfect

Au: Regular

Au: Regular

Requested

Tags/Warnings: GN! Reader but girls sports team, Friends to Enemies to Lovers, a bit of an altered timeskip timeline, reader does end up taller than Natsu, but seeing as we don't know Natsu's final height, I'm sure it's fine. Also the reader is Bi and into gingers. I'm kidding (not really). Approximate Ages.

Word Count: 20k

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

Part One: Discovery

Age 9

When Shoyo came home from his run he could hear his mother in the kitchen, slippers slapping against her heels as she moved pots and pans around. Natsu though—instead of bouncing down the hallway to greet her older brother like she normally would—was out of sight. With a furrowed brow, Shoyo messily kicked off his shoes (nearly falling as he did) and turned into the kitchen, taking out his last earbud.

"Where's Natsu?" The teen boy peeked over his mom's shoulder, catching sight of the steaming rice in front of her. It was more than she normally cooked.

His mom hummed, spinning on her heel as she raised a thin finger to the bottom of her lip. "I think she's in the yard with (Y/N)."

The name was familiar, the only child of one of the neighbours and coincidentally, Natsu's classmate. (Y/N), was a name frequently said in the Hinata household as Natsu cheered and squeaked about her new friend and all the fun things they did together at school. From kicking a ball around, to burying a dead bird they found in the schoolyard, or even just talking about their favourite snacks. It seemed that Natsu always had something to say at the end of the school day about (Y/N). Despite this though, the famous friend had never been seen inside their house.

Shoyo's brows peaked and he walked down the hall to find the sliding doors partially open. Quickly tossing his bag into his room, he stepped back into the hall and peeked through the crack to see his sister and her friend trying to get a handle of the volleyball that was the same size, if not bigger, than their heads.

"You gotta crouch!" Natsu cheered as she demonstrated the positioning. Her hands were held by her side, in a ready position, as Shoyo taught her.

"Like this?" (Y/N) mirrored Natsu's pose, waiting for the short ginger to toss the ball into the air.

When the ball landed perfectly in the centre of (Y/N)'s arms and bounced right back to Natsu with a bit of guidance the two cheered, bright smiles painting their faces as Natsu let the ball fall to the ground behind her as she ran to hug her friend.

Shoyo grinned and stepped through the door, into the backyard.

There was a warm breeze, making the leaves of the surrounding trees and bushes rustle happily in accompaniment with the children's feet kicking up dirt.