Kuroo Tetsurou - Slide of Hand

Au: Regular + Selectively Mute Reader

Requested

Tags/Warnings: GN! Reader, Selective Mute! reader

Word Count: 1.5k

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

You sat patiently next to your rooster-headed co-worker. His voice rumbled calmly as he explained what his team had been working on for the past week. You listened and soaked in the information with a relaxed depression and affirming nods.

Kuroo, hair surprisingly messy for someone of his position, was someone you only knew in passing, never having had to work in such close quarters with him. But with your recent promotion, you found yourself working as his right hand.

You watched his hands as they flipped over a few documents. His fingers pinched the corners of the pages delicately before turning them over.

"Does that make sense?" Looking over to meet his eyes, you nodded.

He stared for a moment, taking in your silent presence with a breathing pause, before continuing on with the work at hand.

Though you knew Kuroo's knowledge of yourself was little—probably only having learned your name recently—you admired his work ethic and personality from afar as he interacted with your other co-workers with a sharp smile. Sadly, you weren't sure how much Kuroo appreciated your continuous silence.

"Okay, perfect. Do you have any of the ad samples for the Chance to Win this year?"

You nodded and slid over your laptop for him to see a slideshow with all the samples and a written overview to accompany it.

At the sound of his content hum, you smiled before the opening office door grabbed your attention.

"Kuroo, Friday night karaoke after work. Are you joining?" Kai peaked his head in through the door. "Oh hey, squeaker!" He smiled once he made eye contact with you.

Kuroo shot a smirk over his shoulder. "Ya! I'll be there in a minute. You joining, (Y/N)?"

Your eyes shot open before you smiled and shook your head, pulling back your laptop.

You could feel Kurros stare. Curious, concerned even, but you paid it no mind. Gathering your belongings, you gave the two men a polite wave and smile before scooting past Kai and out the door.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

Karaoke was an entertaining activity filled with drinking, singing, and loud conversation between co-workers to let loose after a busy week. Kuroo's loose tie and empty glass could attest to that. But these Friday events were something Kuroo had always attended but never had been once noticed that you did not.