Miya Osamu - tick. thump. pt 1

AU: Soulmate

AU: Soulmate

Tags/ Warnings: GN! Reader, mild language

Word Count: 4k

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

The sound of a clock. The constant tick was steadier than a heartbeat with none of the soul. They never matched — the tick of the clock and the dull thump of your heart.

Tick. Thump. Tick. Thump.

You've grown used to it. In fact, it helped you when you were bored or wanted to escape from conversations. You'd start counting them, making melodies and rhythms in time to your internal clock. Still, you longed for some silence — the one rested in your parent's eyes and never strayed from the moment they found each other.

You grew up thinking that finding your soulmate meant peace, silence.

You thought of their smiles now, carrying the last bag of rice from the storage room and into the kitchen where your parents stood side by side making together toppings for their onigiri. You had just enough time to start another batch of rice before the morning rush. The weekends weren't as busy as the rest, but there were still a decent amount of people who got up early or couldn't be bothered to make food.

Tick. Thump. Tick. Thump.

From the front, your family's store looked runned down. A wooden door with peeling white paint with a nail hammered in the middle of it at an odd angle, which hung a reversible open and closed sign that you hastily made. It was out of place next to the window store front that collected dirt and dust faster than you would clean it but still managed to be see-through and acceptable. A red and white striped retractable awning created just enough shade from the sun to house two small tables and four chairs. But the store became the go to place for onigiri since you moved to the Hyogo prefecture a couple of months ago.

After washing the rice and cooking it, you went to the front counter and began setting up. You liked the routine that you made for yourself and was scared for it to be interrupted with the upcoming school semester.

Just as you finished, it was time to open. The rush went as it normally did and the crowd died down just after lunch.

"(Y/N)! We ran out of sesame seeds, so we're going to go out and get some," your mom said, coming from behind you and past the counter. Your dad followed shortly after.

You frowned. "For how long?" Last time they said this, their errands lasted two hours while you manned the store.

You parents exchanged a look. The corners of their mouths curled up and were immediately smothered when they noticed your glare.

Tick. Thump. Tick. Thump.

"Just for a little," your dad said. He patted you on the shoulder and gave you a reassuring smile, one that you knew he meant but couldn't take seriously.