Kita Shinsuke - If Memory Serves Pt 2

Au: Regular Timeskip

Requested

Tags/Warnings: GN!Reader

Word Count: 2.3k

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

Sometimes you would wake up with headaches, mind-numbing and skull-splitting all at once as your body tried to numb the pain. The memory still felt fresh as you watched from the back line of the court as your opponent sent a ball that was reported to be 85km/h directly at your nose, blinked, and found yourself looking at the ceiling of the gymnasium. It felt like you had been hit by that spike all over again.

Over time you had learned that the pain and dizziness could leave you spending a day in bed, groaning or (if you were lucky) knocked out. Sadly, being knocked out only happened on the more severe days, and even if you spent most of the day in bed, you would have to get up at some point. Right?

So, squinting through the bright sunlit hallway of the Kita home, you shuffled your way down into the kitchen, clutching your old tired stuffed fox to your chest, its head flopping into the crook of your elbow.

There was a wet, scrubbing sound. It sort of felt like your brain was getting washed, in a good, not so good, way as it echoed into the hallway.

Shinsuke was working away on the kitchen counters, digging a sponge into the deep corners of the grout and sink edges. Across the room, sitting on the cushioned floor seat, Yumi was cleaning the table. Her fingers dug the cloth she held into the details of the wood table to pick up all the dirt. While she cleaned, she watched the news that played on the TV.

"It smells nice," you said, breathing in, before wincing as the floral scent seemed to strike the back of your head. "Strong, though."

You finished making your way in, sitting down at the table with Yumi, who had finished cleaning and gave you a sweet wrinkly smile as you joined her. "The smell should dissipate quickly enough with the doors open. Is it too much of a bother?"

Shaking your head, you sunk against the backrest and closed your eyes. "Not too bad. Just sucked in too much of it at first. I'll be fine."

"Do you need some water?"

"No, I'm alright."

"Shinsu! Grab some water and join us!"

Even with your eyes clothed and the TV on a high volume, you could hear the light grin in Shinsuke's voice as he let out a small airy laugh and gave his grandmother an "Of course."

You continued to listen to his movements, his footsteps against the hardwoods and softer mats, the sound of slowing water and glass hitting with high-pitched clinks. You imagined him floating, gliding across the floor of his family home in practiced movements that had become muscle memory like a beautiful dance.