Yamaguchi Tadashi - The Flowers in the Park

AU: Hanahaki Disease

Requested

Yamaguchi x FEM! Reader

Word Count: 1.2k

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

There were a lot of things that Yamaguchi would give up in this world.

He'd give up seeing the sunset without much hesitation. He could probably live with the idea of giving up forever and end with an eternity full of nothingness despite Tsukishima's efforts to tell him otherwise.

There was one thing he couldn't give up and that was you. The gleam in your eyes when you talked about something that made you happy was his favourite thing in the entire world, other than volleyball. He'd just let you talk until you run out of things to say because he didn't have the heart to stop you.

It was definitely one of his flaws, but that he enjoyed having.

It was pouring rain when you met, strangely enough, at a gas station on a Friday afternoon, even though neither of you knew how to drive, and the rain had caused both of you to detour. It was more fate than a coincidence, Yamaguchi always thought as he saw you for the first time, a transfer student to Karasuno clutching a brand new uniform in hand.

He introduced you to the volleyball team and you became fast friends. However, Tsukishima never liked you and you didn't know why.

"You're an idiot," Tsukishima said, taking a bite out of his bun. They were both fresh out of volleyball practise, tired, hungry, and walking home in the light breeze of the wind.

Yamaguchi laughed, giving him a nervous smile in return.

Tsukishima stopped. "(Y/N) was watching practice for a bit again."

Yamaguchi turned around and smiled, steading his bike as he slowed to halt. "I know! It was great! She cheered when I hit the serve. Too bad she had to leave early for dinner. Maybe next time she could stay for longer."

Tsukishima paused. "Have you ever heard of the hanahaki disease before?"

His eyebrows shot up. "The flower thing? I've heard of it. People say it's only a rumour though."

"What if it's not?"

"It is," Yamaguchi reassured, giving him a small smile. "Come on, let's go back home."

"I remember you telling me that you'd give up anything for her to like you back."

Yamaguchi's cheeks burned red. "Tsukki... we're just friends. I don't remember saying that."

Tsukishima took a step closer to Yamaguchi, ignoring his words. "What if I can get her to like you?"

"That's not really how it works." Yamaguchi blushed. ' Just...Forget about it okay? Don't...Just....I'm going to go home. Don't do anything. Please."