Bokuto Koutarou - Give Me a Little More Time

AU: Regular

AU: Regular

Requested

Tags/ Warnings: Male! Cowboy/Country Reader

Word Count: 5.8k+

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

Your life mainly consisted of dull days, filled with the same, repetitive, daily motions that you had gotten used to as the year passed on.

Though, in your defence, there wasn't much to do, not when your house was a half an hour walk from the closest town and your day was filled with chores on the farm. You would muck out and clean the animals that lived on the farm, mend fences, and your grandparents said that the chicken coup was following apart and was in dire need of rebuilding.

You had a never-ending to-do list.

Despite your groans of protest and scrunched faces as you did his work, you always did what was asked of you and took joy in doing it. The days were predictable, but they were a good distraction.

Being on the farm, surrounded by acres of fresh grass, animals you adored, and grandparents you loved, made you forget and forgetting was the best you could do.

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

You had to go to town today. His grandfather requested you to get planks of wood for the broken fence that needed fixing later that day, which would take up most of the sunlight hours since you were doing it by yourself, and go to the hardware store to gather general supplies to clean up the farm.

You started your day early, getting up just as dawn broke to feed the animals and do some small chores. By the time it was mid-day, you were already halfway to the town.

The town was in sight when you heard a low rumble coming from the truck. You let up on the gas pedal. Was the sound actually coming from your truck? Just a part of your imagination? After a second of cruising, the truck made a low rumble again.

You took in a breath and wished you had for your grandmother's talent for fixing things. A clogged pipe? She was the person for the job. A creak or sound from the tracker? You'd call your grandmother. But it would take longer to drive back than to take it to the auto body shop.

You tried to remind yourself of what your grandfather told you when the car broke down in town once.

"Don't call your grandmother," he had said. "She'd rather walk to town than have us go to the mechanic, but it's okay to ask for help sometimes. Especially if it's your grandmother we're hiding it from. She's scary."

"It made a strange noise," you said to the on-call mechanic. You felt a little guilty, but you didn't want to risk the truck breaking down in the middle of the road. "It made like a" —you broke off, trying to imitate the sound— "sound."