Sugawara Koushi - Long Enough

AU: Regular/ Confession 

Word count: 843

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

Sugawara has been planning to ask you out for some time now. You've been friends since, well, since forever and he decided that now was the time. Now, in your last year of high school, he was going to ask you out, and you were going to say yes. Everyone, including you, knew you were going to say yes.

Most people thought you were together anyways, but you were no more than friends.

"You two have waited long enough," Dachi had said. "You deserve this."

However, there was one roadblock. Your parents.

Despite your everlasting friendship and all of the times Sugawara has proven to himself worth of your time and love, intentionally or unintentionally, your parents didn't like him. They didn't outwardly hate him, it's not like they told it to him directly, but it was the little things like not smiling at him when he entered your house or not offering to let him stay for dinner, that made the difference.

Your parents were always the one reason Sugawara was hesitant to ask you out.

But none of that mattered to you.

You loved him all the same. No matter what they said to you, or how they openly disapproved of your friendship behind closed doors, he was your favourite person in the entire world even if he did the most unlikely and, frankly, a little risky things.

Like the first time he asked you out.

You were eating dinner with your family. They were talking about their day, mundane things like their transit to work and complaining about their co-workers, but that only made you think about Sugawara more. It made you think of the way he would talk to you, with so much joy and calmness in his voice that you thought you would listen to forever.

The doorbell rang.

You excused yourself from the table and walked a little way to the door. Luckily, for both you and Sugawara, a wall blocked the dining room table from their sight.

You smiled when you saw him and was halfway to saying something when he placed a single finger on his lips. You furrowed your eyebrows together and looked back toward the table past the wall. Your mind settled as you heard your parents go back to a normal conversation.

His hands were still behind his back as he looked at you. He smiled brightly and you smiled back. You pointed behind his back and titled your head. And just like a cliche film, he pulls out a big white notebook.

You rolled your eyes, but your smile only widened.

Cliche right? The first notecard said.

He turned the card over.

Believe it or not, I had better ideas.

You put your hand against your mouth to stiffen your laugh.

To ask you tomorrow or even call you. But none of that seemed right.

You raised your eyebrow. Ask you what?

It couldn't wait.

He seemed nervous as he flipped to the next card. His hands were shaking a bit and his smile grew a little weary.

I'm....kind of in love with you

Your eyes watered as you read the card and took a step forward.

"Wait," Sugawara whispered. His hands trembling, he turned over the next card.

I know I'm not supposed to say that yet...at least not until our near future

But I've known it for years

And I hope you did too

He put the cards down and whispered, "Do you want to go out with me?"

"I've been waiting for you to ask me for the longest time," you said, taking the steps forward to get closer to him.

"You could've just asked me yourself," he laughed.

"I know," you laughed back. "But every time I tried, I either got lost in our conversation or was too nervous to ask."

"Actually, Dachi pushed me to ask you," Sugawara admitted, finally smiling like his normal self. "I was planning on asking you a couple of weeks ago, but I was too nervous too. He told me to do it now or I'll never do it."

"I should thank him the next time I see him then."

Sugawara smiled warmly and took another step forward. Only a couple of centimetres separated the two of you. "Is that a yes?"

"(Y/N)?" Your mom called. "What's going on? Who's at the door? You've been there for a while." She poked her head around the corner of the wall and her smile faded a bit as she saw Sugawara.

"Oh, hello. What brings you to our house?" she asked, walking towards the door.

"Hello," Sugawara said, bowing slightly. "I wanted to ask (Y/N) something."

"It couldn't wait for tomorrow?"

"No," you said, turning back to Sugawara and grabbing his hand lightly. "It really couldn't. We've waited long enough."

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

It's a bit short... but I don't think it needed to be long... I hope you enjoyed it. It definitely took turn from the last one-shot I wrote.  -Kiwi

Posted: 06/03/2020