Iwaizumi Hajime - Pearlescent Pt 5

Au: Merpeople

Au: Merpeople

Requested (kind of)

Tags/Warnings: GN!reader

Word Count: 1.8k

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

Waking up delirious with a blinding light shining directly into your eyes wasn't the most welcoming experience. Even worse was squinting to see through the flash and finding yourself in the arms of a strange man. And, to make matters even more horrendous, trying to kick away only to find that your legs were restrained, squirming out of his hold, and nearly choking on salt water as though you weren't able to breathe it.

You twisted in the water before gathering yourself together, blinking, bubbles washed past you, and the man ducked below the surface to join you. Luckily, your legs weren't restrained, but having a tail in their place meant you wouldn't be running anywhere. You couldn't swim very fast anyways.

"Who the hell?" your voice cracked and came out muffled before falling into a cough.

"You need some practice with that. It's like speaking another language." His voice, on the other hand, was like a symphony of instruments, cutting through the water and right into your ear with masterful skill.

You stared, watching his hair float around his head in seaweed-like clumps. You could tell he'd been in the water for a while. His ability to stay floating in one position, upright as if rolling waves weren't pushing him over made you feel like a toddler staring at their father walking around without falling over.

You kicked your tail to try and swim straight.

"Guppy?"

You gasped, nearly choking on the water again. "Guppy? I... who?"

Tongue right on the word, but too afraid to say it, you kicked forward, studying the features of the man before you. It was frightening just how familiar he looked, each new piece of information you gathered while circling him dug right into your chest and pulled you closer.

"Guppy."

"I forgot about that name. Mom never calls me it." You stopped in front of him, taking an extra look at the extra pieces on his skin. There were fins coming off his arms, webbing between his fingers, and large gills on his sides. He looked the same, but also so different from you.

"There's a lot I need to explain."

"Start then. Where are we?"

The water was completely dark around you, not letting you see more than shadows past a few meters and the sunlight above you.

"A few hundred metres off the coast. We can't be too close until we get back."

"Back?"

"Your grandmothers."