Ushijima Wakatoshi - Wine and Movie Pt 3

Au: Regular (timeskip)

Tags/Warnings: GN! Reader, uhhhh

Word Count: 1k

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

Your hands began to crackle as the mud that covered them dried up. Dipping them in a pot filled with water had become a pastime, giving you what only felt like seconds until you had to soak them again. It was hard not to sigh or groan, but you didn't want the people around you to look your way. While they did chat a bit, it was very quiet, allowing everyone to concentrate on the task before them. Not that they needed it. They were all so talented.

You glanced at Ushijima's hands. Strong as they were, they were gentle against the clay beneath them, easily forming and moulding it into a smooth bowl with cupped hands. Gulping, you looked back to your bowl, only to find it caved in. "I'm going to break this table."

"Don't worry," a woman said to your right. "It takes time to learn."

You gave her a sour frown and pointed to Ushijima, leaning back to ensure she could see. "He's got it."

"I've done this before," Ushijima explained.

"Show off."

"I'm just talented."

You blinked. He told a joke. Well, sort of. But there was humour in his tone. A small lilt that let you know he was teasing you. Grinning, you played along.

"Ugh, when is it my turn to be talented."

"You have your skills."

"Maybe, but I'm not a giant made of pure muscle."

Ushijima turned his head away. Ears tinged pink.

"Oh," You smiled, "I'm also not as handsome."

Lifting his foot from the spinning pedal, Ushijima rose to his feet and shuffled away towards the bathroom.

"I think you flustered him," the woman chuckled as she pulled a wire through the bottom of her cup.

"That's a very hard thing to do. He's so stoic."

"Well, I guess he likes you enough to induce a response."

You sat silently as she stood up with her cup and walked away.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

Sitting on the cushions of Ushijima's home, you couldn't help but keep glancing over as the woman's words danced through your head.

Does he like you? Well, he was the one to suggest the date in the first place. Knowing what you knew of him, Ushijima was the type to do things without purpose, maybe for the occasion selfish purpose, but not without none. So he must like you, right? He couldn't just want more physical therapy to prevent his shoulder from getting injured, not that you'd mind providing it, but still, he could just come to you during work hours if he wanted. And by now, it's been long enough that he likely would have asked for something outside of work time if he wanted it. Which he hasn't, so there really must be a different motive, but that could only mean—

"You're not watching. What's on your mind?"

"Hmm?" Your spine straightened as you looked up from the sharp angle of Ushijima's jaw to meet his brown eyes.

"You've been staring at me instead of watching the movie. It's your favourite."

You spun the wine in your glass, watching it become a whirlpool. "Maybe I've had too much to drink."

"You haven't even had a sip. What's in your mind."

Sucking in a deep breath, you dipped your head back, letting the wine roll down your throat before slamming it onto the table. "Do you like me?" you asked after swallowing.

"Yes."

"Okay, and this is what kind of like?"

"I find you attractive and interesting if that's what you're asking."

Yes and no. The thought of saying the words made your stomach churn, and chugging back the wine was probably no help. "I—" The words wouldn't get out like they were trapped behind your tongue.

"If you can't tell me, I can't answer."

"Oh, quiet, this is hard. I don't know how you were able to just ask me on a date."

"I wanted something, so I went for it."

"You— Huh?"

He could talk so easily, calmly, like the words were nothing but information to be shared, despite being able to hide his emotions behind a usually stoic mask.

"What's causing you trouble? I like you. I want to take you on dates. I want to enjoy your company. What's so difficult to understand." If he didn't have such a calm voice, you would have almost assumed he was angry, but his hunched stature as he turned toward you felt more hesitant. "Is it a label you need?"

"I, well. No? But maybe?"

"I'm courting you."

"Like a victorian?"

"I suppose," he blinked, staring off for a moment to gather his thoughts. The laps in time only made your mind jump to the thought of him wearing a suit with long coattails and a top hat and cane to match. It would suit him. He came back, making eye contact and ending your dazed dream. "Does that help? Knowing that I'm courting you?"

Well, considering that you were more distracted by the thought of Ushijima wearing a fancy Victorian dress, yes. You nodded, but quickly tilted your head.

"So, do I call you my boyfriend?"

"I'd like that. But only if you want to. We can figure it out as we go."

"Right."

Ushijima leaned away, removing his warmth from the air before you and only then making you realise how close he had gotten.

Your heart continued to flutter, despite the anxiety seeping away, leaving you feeling warm and content. You hoped his was too.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

This is just me writing a coded autistic x adhd couple and failing cause I can't plot right now. There's nothing else I can think of to write for this? idk - Bacon

Posted: 26/03/2023