Miya Osamu - tick. thump. pt 3

AU: Soulmate

AU: Soulmate

Tags/ Warnings: GN! Reader, mild language

Word Count: 2.5k

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

In your sleepy state, the sun glaring in your eyes, your resentment of mornings only grew. You turned in your bed, not wanting to get out for the first day of school. The clock on your night stand blared in alarm beside you. Your palms were sweaty and a pressure held itself in your stomach.

Something was off.

You took a deep breath and twisted your body to find the small latch at the back of the clock to turn off the alarm. You pulled the blanket up and over your head, hoping for a few more seconds of peace, quiet.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

Your heart pounded deeper in your chest. Slowly, you sat up in your bed, covering your ear with your hands, pushing them down hard until it hurt. Still, the dull, steady rhythm of your internal clock was there.

Tick. Thump. Tick. Thump.

How could you have sought out comfort from the sound? In the sound? Your peace frayed at the edges, curling in on itself like a paper burning. You shook your head.

"Go away," you whispered. You could barely hear your own words. "Go away."

Your breath quickened and your eyes blurred with tears. Was there something wrong with you? Was this a cruel fake out of the universe?

Tick. Tick. Tick....

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

The shop was quiet before the morning rush. The hush tones of your parents, which usually comforted you, did nothing for you today. Nothing could drown it out. You tried loud music and putting your head underwater, but the deaden sound wouldn't leave you.

"My lovely, lovely, child, how great it is for you to join us," your dad's voice sang with enthusiasm. He had looked up from packing extra onigiri for you. The moment his eyes met yours, his smile changed to a frown. "What's wrong?"

You swallowed. "I —"

"You can tell me," he said, eyes softening.

Deep down, you knew you could. Despite his jokes and quips, you knew that your dad would treat you with kindness and honesty when you needed it — and he always seems to know when you needed it before you did. But you couldn't. How do you explain that there was something...wrong with you? That you lacked and failed in destiny, something that your parents excelled in and that the universe deemed a mistake.

This couldn't have happened with him and your mom. They were strong. They had years to build and rebuild their relationship. You and Osamu...You and Osamu had a thread that connected you together, but it was still just a thread, thin and weak and breakable.