Tsukishima Kei - Warm Water

Au: Regular

Au: Regular

Requested

Tags/Warnings: GN! Reader, Implications of past self-harm but so subtle that it can be read as if not there, fluffy comfort

Word Count: 1k+

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

Yamaguchi is the first one to hand you a shakeable pack of ice when you wince, grabbing your wrist gently as he places the ice pack against the inside of your forearm. You laugh slightly at how warm your skin feels, stinging and throbbing from the repetitive impact of the plastic ball.

It's sunny out, perfect weather. You sit in the grass next to your bags, letting the tall boy with freckles crouch next to you as he softly holds the ice against your skin. He sighs, "Your skin is fragile, you didn't have to bump any of the balls, tossing would've been fine."

Your chuckle gets caught off with a hiss as Yamaguchi moves his attention to your other arm. "I'm not as good as either of you, my tosses suck."

Tsukishima picks up the forgotten volleyball of the grass, making his way to your side with quick and long strides. "We know." He stands there for a moment, letting you punch his shin in a flabbergasted retort, before sitting down and resting his head on his bag. He drapes his arm over his eyes and tucks his glasses into the collar of his white shirt. "But the more you practice the more resistant you'll be and eventually," he lifts his arm, meeting your eyes for a split second before covering them again, "it won't even hurt."

Yamaguchi hums next to you and pulls the ice away. You tuck your arms close to your stomach, thanking him as you scoot forward to lay down. The two boys shuffle as they reach for their respective water bottles. You smile when Tsukishima's shadow falls over your face.

Humming, you smile. "It's a nice day."

The boys give you a tired response in agreement, chucking their water before lying down in the grass. Once comfortable, the blond hisses. "The sun is almost at its peak and there aren't any clouds. We should go inside soon." Despite his words, he didn't move.

Yamaguchi laughs behind his hand as you smack the blond boy jokingly, again.

"Enjoy it, Tsukki. The nice weather won't last forever."

"That's a jinx," Yamaguchi laughs, head sinking into his bag

"That's superstition," Tsukishima retorts.

"You both—" Your voice stills at something landing on your forehead and the sun quickly fading. Eyes open, you look up. "Damn it, when did those clouds show up?"

Tsukishima remains flat along the grass in a blase nature as you and Yamaguchi scramble to collect your things before a downpour starts. On your feet, you sniff at Tsukishima's uncaring form and yank his bag from beneath his head. He curses as his head hits the ground.

"Come on, string bean! It's gonna pour!"

You and Yamaguchi are off, turning onto the sidewalk of the park as Tsukishima sits up. On his feet, he takes quick, but unhurried steps to catch up. He's a few metres behind you when you laugh as the warm water starts hitting your skin with more repetitive force. He sees Yamaguchi grin at your genuine reaction to the warm shower. He feels himself bristle, lips pinching as he watches you grab Yamaguchi's wrist, dragging him to jump in the quickly forming puddles.

Tsukishima continues to walk a couple of feet behind you until Yamaguchi's house comes into view. You stand next to the blond, waving to your friend until he ducks behind the door with a damp smile.

Both of your clothes start to cling to your sides, but you seem happy and pay it no mind while Tsukishima tries to pull the fabric off even though the rain continues to act as glue against his skin. Giving up, he steps beside you, reaching for his bag that was still in your hold.

"Give me that," he huffs.

Smiling, you toss the red bag over.

He catches it, looping his arm through the handles so that it hangs sideways on his shoulder, pushing against the back of his arm as it tried to distribute its weight normally.

The two of you walked in silence, letting the pouring rain fill any pace that words would have. Tsukishima watches as you kick small puddles and swing your arms. Calmly keeping an eye out for when you might slip.

Your home shows up sooner than expected. Giving the blond a smile, you adjust your bag, ready to hop through the rain for the last few seconds before you reach your door.

Tsukishima catches your fingers at the last second, pulling you back with enough force to have you stumbling. Instead of smacking him, you get out a laugh, meeting his eyes with a joyful grin.

He paused for a moment. Words stuck in his throat as he watches the clear water roll down your cheek, catching on the edge of your grinning lip before falling off your chin. He gulps, looking at your fingers sitting delicately in his before meeting your eyes again.

"Try not to hurt your arms any further, it'll irritate your skin," he says, dropping your hand slowly. Letting your last finger cling to the tip of his for an extra moment before it flicks off, making water fly with the movement. "And take a shower. You don't want to get sick."

Your grin turns mischievous. "But if I get sick, you'll take care of me right?"

"No."

You laugh, taking steps backwards in a drunken pattern, inconsistent as you sway in the falling rain. "Fine, fine. But I'll take care of you. Okay?"

Tsukishima isn't able to get a word in before you're laughing as you run up to your door.

Ironically enough, Tsukishima wakes up the next day with you hovering over him, placing a cold towel on his forehead as Yamaguchi writes in his notebook at his desk. Whether it was the fever or the contrast temperature of the towel, he feels himself burn under your smiling gaze as you take care of him.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

Wow, look at that. Present tense. That's new coming from me. I Like it.

If you're wondering why all the author's notes have the same information, it's cause when I write, I try to do like two one-shots a week.

Soooo ya. Some of the author's notes you read are from a few weeks prior.

Though Kiwis are written when they edit, and vice versa..... Soooooo it's a mess. - Bacon

It's a biggg messs. Plus...since Bacon writes these at such a fast pace, all my comments are a long time after she'd already written them -Kiwi

All I do is watch (some) anime, writing, reading, art (LB.bacon on Instagram, shameless), and a bit of school. I have lots of time. -Bacon

Posted: 09/05/2021