Kageyama Tobio - Swordplay

AU: Fantasy/Medieval (Medieval Fantasy?)

Requested

Tags/ Warnings: GN! Reader, OOC of Kageyama?? Maybe?, some violent descriptions, I don't know much about fighting so please take what I wrote about it with a grain of salt

Word Count: 14k +

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

Prologue

The tip of your father's sword was cold against the under of your chin as he tilted your head up.

You glared at him from your spot on the ground, wishing for nothing more than to be the one holding a blade to his neck.

To do that you needed to do better. You wanted to be better.

"One day, you're going to need to know how to fight," he said, slightly flicking his wrist, adding pressure to the point of the dulled blade. You gritted your teeth as you felt a small drop of blood drip down your neck and onto your chest. "This is not something you can learn from one of your books. Get up."

You shoved his blade aside and scrambled to your feet. You didn't need to be on the ground for your father to look down at you—it was his natural state. Being the heir to an entire kingdom had its perks, but it also had its responsibilities and pressures, maybe even too much sometimes. And for your father, one of those responsibilities was learning how to defend yourself.

Deep inside, you knew that he was doing this in your best interest. You just wished that he had a different way of showing it. A scowl of disappointment marked his face as he picked up a rag and wiped off the sweat from his forehead, a look was consistently aimed at you; whether you did something to be proud of or failed miserably, there it was, staring at you.

His friendly, cuddly side was reserved for the public and the people who worked in the palace. Often you wondered if you made up the smile you saw him wear when other people were around.

Calmly, you walked over to where your sword had fallen. You bent down and grasped it tightly by the hilt. The longsword weighed heavily in your ten-year-old hands, but you took a deep breath, took a ready stance, and raised it.

"Are you just going to stand there?"

You swore that The King smiled in return.

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

You opened your front door, peaking your head out to look down either side of the hallway.

"He's not here yet."

You stood upright at the sound of the voice and stepped fully out of your room. You feigned a naive, dreamy expression. "I don't know what you are talking about, Sawamura."