Nishinoya Yuu - Catch Me If You Can

AU: Penpal / Travel

AU: Penpal / Travel

Warning: Manga Spoilers

Word Count: 7.6k+

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•

How could he not have fallen in love with (Y/N) back then? The foreign transfer student that regaled stories of her adventures around the world with swinging arm movements and an indistinguishable accent that had been muddled over years of travel. She was a sun among stars. A linguistic animal lover that had a passion for learning and adventure. No one could resist her charm, not for long. She was expressive, loud and boisterous. But when given the chance, the outgoing girl will always sit quietly and listen with a kind smile on her face. How could anyone not want to know her?

It was nearing the end of March in 2014 when they last saw each other. Despite it being the beginning of spring, the sun was shooting down warm golden rays of light that (Y/N) happily bathed in. Nishinoya sat next to the excitable girl, looking at the various pins she had stuck into her worn down and faded hat, tired after years of travelling and use. It was spunky, out there, it suited her quite well. In her hand, she fiddled with a keychain that he had just given her moments prior. A small enamel volleyball that he had a duplicate of.

"I'm going to travel the world," she said, leaning back against the stairs of the gym.

The graduation ceremony was long. Despite that, the volleyball team had gathered in their gym to send off the 3rd years, announcing Yamaguchi as the new captain, and making everyone cry. The 1st years were the worst, only getting to spend one year with their beloved elders.

Nishinoya smiled, stretching his legs along the steps to lay down beside her. "Where are you going to go first?"

She hummed, "I think I'll go to Australia, I want the accent back."

Nishinoya laughed and watched as the traveller held up the chain to her nose.

"I want to meet as many people as I can, get some new experiences," she sighed before shooting up from her spot, nearly launching herself on top of Nishinoya's relaxed position. Her eyes seemed to be twinkling as they looked into his, "I'm going to write you letters."

How could he say no to that smile?

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•

For three years they sent letters back and forth. Occasionally sending a care package, typically coming from (Y/N), who always seemed to have money to spare for the best quality of shipping. Nishinoya was always eager to open her letters. The words on the page would dance in his mind, creating beautiful images of the girl he remembered as she continued her travels. He would feel his heart squeeze with every package, carrying various treats and pictures for him to enjoy. Nishinoya always wanted to travel despite never having the funds to do so. Because of this, he lived vicariously through his long time crush's adventures, holding every gift he received close to his heart.