Kuroo & Bokuto & Kozume & Akaashi - Ships Need Sails

Soulmate Au: the first words said to your soulmate appear on their wrist and vice versa, when said

Requested (I changed the specific colours, but otherwise nothing else)

Tags/Warnings: GN!Reader, Poly relationship, Meet cute, Starts off focused on the 4

Word Count: 2.1k+

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

Kozume was on a rowboat in life. One that was too big for him to grab onto both oars at the same time. His little arms were too small and weak. It was fine though, he would guess. Being alone wasn't bad. It was peaceful, he didn't have to think about anyone else, his imagination could run wild and free about sea monsters and dragons flying overhead.

It was a sudden change when a new player appeared in Kozume's row boat. It got a bit bigger and stronger, but most importantly someone could grab the other oar.

Kuroo and Kozume met at a young age. They both remember meeting clearly, but the realisation of being soulmates came a bit later. When parents are talking, kids don't really want to speak up after all.

Surprisingly, it had been Kozume to speak first, cutting into the silence of them standing stiffly in his bedroom. And with that, "Wanna play Virtua Fighter 4?" was permanently inked onto Kuroo's wrist in a golden brown.

For Kozume, in crimson red the word "Sure" was printed.

Though at the time, neither quite understood the intricacies of being soulmates, it slowly became obvious to each other why they were. Kuroo was understanding, able to pick up on Kozume's mental tune. He knew when the younger boy was excited or bored behind the plain expression he often wore. He didn't need to ask if Kozume was happy, tired, or having fun. He just knew, and Kozume greatly appreciated that.

Kuroo enjoyed Kozume's analytical mind. Though perhaps not as intuitive as Kuroo was with emotions, Kosume was quick to learn and adjustable to understand if Kuroo wanted a change of pace. He brought something new to the table in his own way, usually in the form of a new videogame, often one with puzzles to solve or challenging battles.

They had nine steady years of sticking together as best friends, partners, and soulmates. Nine years until another wrench got thrown into the mix.

Bokuto was an oddball, an unexpected meteor that wasn't picked up by radars. Not that a small row boat had radars in the first place. Nor would it matter when a tsunami was heading their way.

Kuroo and Bokuto met in their 1st year of high school during a tournament. Standing on opposite sides of the net when the tension is at its highest and the crowds cheering seemed to stuff everybody's ears. It was a close game with Kuroo blocking many of Bokuto's hits and Bokuto's frustration climbing. There weren't any direct words exchanged between them until late in the second half when Bokuto landed with an annoyed grunt.