2 | volleyball with crows

TWO. GF-FORHIRE

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

the sound of the soles of shoes squeaking against the pvc vulcanized rubber floors of the indoor volleyball court located at karasuno's first gym.

the protagonist stood at the doorway, in slight awe of the variety of movements she was witnessing all at once. there was an orange-haired child who looked like he was barely five feet flying across the air as he spiked the volleyball with utmost precision with his frail yet firm hands. on the opposite side of the court, there was a boy who stood taller than most, his blonde hair setting him apart the crowd much like the former. he raised his hands in front of him and successfully blocked the spike thrown his way by the orange haired boy.

before she could continue listing down the movements she had just witnessed, a familiar voice called out to her.

"ymari-chan!"

the blonde haired middle-aged man who called out from his seat at the front of the court that overlooked the entire game was waving at her to catch her attention.

"huh?" a black haired boy who was the setter looked at the doorway.

"a girl?!"

a boy with a military haircut and a boy with quiffed black hair and a blonde highlight smack dab at the top of his forehead immediately squealed like middle school girls as they caught sight of the girl.

the game seemed to have come to a pause as soon as there was a mention of a girl's name.

the girl of the hour blinked and turned away from the now silent court as she took brisk yet calculated footsteps towards the shop owner who'd been her honorary- cough, self-proclaimed guardian ever since her aunt left for tokyo.

"ukai-san." she bowed to him lightly, and then noticed the presence of another man beside her honorary guardian.

the man with glasses and a kind smile noticed her lingering gaze and introduced himself, "i'm ittetsu takeda, the club adviser and.. er, head coach."

she nodded in acknowledgement and then bowed at him, "takeda-sensei."

he sweatdropped at the formality but shook it off. "you're here to learn volleyball, right?"

"yes i am."

"well then, get changed kid." ukai had malicious grin planted on his face. "because today's going to be hell."

-

ukai keishin was a force to be reckoned with- the man wasn't kidding when he said she'd be going through hell.

the girl who was sprawled on the floor at the corner of the gym was sweating profusely, every single inch of her body was aching.

she was poised enough to be partnered with the monster duo- who she'd come to know as tobio kageyama and shoyo hinata when she was introduced to the team earlier- which led to her complete, utter demise.

the two simply didn't know when to stop. it had been seven full hours and had ukai not forced them into submission, they would have still been going at it.

"here." a water bottle that glistened with water particles met her line of vision.

she glanced upwards and made eye contact with blueberry eyes. tobio kageyama.

"arigato." she took the water bottle from him and opened the cap, drinking right after.

kageyama crouched down and sat next to her, overlooking the gym where the team was scattered, all preparing to go home.

"you're good at what you do." the girl voiced out the compliment she's been keeping all day to the setter.

"i see why you're on the starting lineup even if you're just a first year." she gave him a side glance. "your talent is impecabble."

even though she doesn't really know much about volleyball, seeing the boy's talent first-hand made her realize that he was such an amazing athlete, especially for his age.

the tips of kageyama's ears tinged pink while his face burned red, "a-ah, arigato."

she smiled at him, "don't thank me, i'm just telling the truth."

the boy hummed, "a-ano, senpai.."

"you're a basketball player right? i've watched some of your games before. so a-ano.." he looked at her, blueberry eyes meeting heterochromatic ones. "why'd you want to learn volleyball all of a sudden?"

"i'm a basketball player, yeah." ymari's lips upturned as she sees kageyama's rather flustered demeanor. "but i coach the volleyball team at niiyama sometimes."

excuses, excuses, they're just lies.

it was half true though, so let's cut her some slack.

"i felt like i should at least learn the trade instead of just barking orders at everyone." she lightly giggled.

the melodious hum of her laugh was music to kageyama's ears. "ah i see."

comfortable silence enveloped the two of them, before it was interrupted by coach ukai prodding everyone to go home. as the two of them got up from their positions on the floor, one decided to break the ice.

"shekinah-senpai." he called her lightly by her second given name.

she turned her head towards him with a hum. "hmm?"

"a-ano..." he trailed off. "would you like to walk home together?"

ymari blinked, taken aback. she'd only just let the guy today and he was already offering to take her home. not that it was bad in any sense, he seemed like a good person, but how could he trust ymari so easily at first meeting?

"i live a few blocks down, is your home that way?" she asked, kind eyes meeting his.

the boy nodded, "hai."

a smile graced her lips, making kageyama's heartbeat quicken.

"alright then, let's walk home together, kageyama-kun."

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━