116 | crippling

ONE HUNDRED SIXTEEN. GF-FORHIRE

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

SHE FELT LIKE THE LIGHT WAS COMING DOWN ON HER. Pupils dilated with adrenaline, lips parted in dismay, and hands trembling with exhaustion. Reo Regina Hemmings was seconds away from passing out as she stared at the opposing team celebrating their win.

In the midst of the red and white crowd, her vermillion eyes grasped on hues of blue and green. Her heart felt like it was swallowed by her lungs as their eyes met– Seinaru had already been looking at her.

Absentmindedly, her feet started trotting on the floor, one after the other.

Left, right.

Irwin, through tear-filled eyes stared with dread pulsating through her veins. For the first time, she felt absolute horror engulf her being as she looked at her captain trudging towards the winning team. She was afraid of what the red-haired girl would say.

Left, right.

Hood patted Irwin's back, giving her assurance that their captain wasn't a sore loser and wouldn't do anything drastic.

Reo was a good sport. But no one knew exactly what was going on inside her head at that very moment.

Ymari Seinaru only stared blankly at her. Her blue and green eyes had specks of curiosity in them as Reo approached her. Her teammates who were previously surrounding her in a winning huddle suddenly moved to make way for the opposing team's captain.

"Seinaru." Reo's voice came bundling through the arena. Her bottom lip quivered, but she bit it in fear that she may break down in front of her superior.

"I..." Her mouth dried. She suddenly forgot what she even came here for. To admit defeat? Well, she already lost, what's there to admit?

However, the silence was cut short when the woman of the hour spoke up.

"You did well." Seinaru expressed, noticing that the red-haired girl didn't exactly have anything to say. The left corner of her lip turned upward in the slightest.

Reo looked at her peered at her in disbelief, "Me?"

"You and your team." Seinaru corrected. "None of you lost your will to fight until the end. And though you fell short, you..."

She looked Reo in the eye, "You have my respect."

Utsui, who was starting to get uncomfortable by the atmosphere between the two prodigies laughed out loud. "Oh, to be respected by the Ymari Seinaru!"

Reo finally snapped out of her reverie and bowed her head lightly, cheeks still flushed red, and her heart beating in her ears. "Thank you."

Ymari simply nodded back at her, before her eyes flitted towards her coach who seemed to be calling her name and walked off.

-

"This year's mythical five!" The announcer's voice boomed through the speakers.

The bronze, silver, and gold medals and trophies were already awarded to the respective teams. Third place with bronze was the USA, second place with silver was Australia, and the first place with gold was Japan.

The three prodigies in the bleachers earlier stood up abruptly, knowing that that was their go-signal to go to the court.

"Belzin Felicity Horan of Great Britain." The ginger stepped up onto the podium while the referee she almost pummeled to the ground the other day slung her medal over her head.