88 | may the best man win

EIGHTY-EIGHT. GF-FORHIRE

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

"IS IT REALLY APPROPRIATE FOR US TO BE HERE ON THE FIRST DAY?" An alto-voiced olive-green haired male asked his friend and teammate who was entering the same sports center as him.

The tall red-haired middle blocker shrugged, "The tickets she got us were for the whole week. How could we pass up an opportunity to watch all the games, including the opening?"

"I suppose you are correct." Ushijima just glanced behind them, where Shirabu, Semi, and Goshiki were. "And them?"

"Seinaru-san got Goshiki four tickets, told him to invite us." Semi shrugged. "Reon will be here tomorrow. He just got caught up with final revisions for his group's research project."

The five of them, soon to be six, were checked in a hotel a few blocks away from this sports center. So, all they had to do was walk, really.

"Hey, what are those flowers for, by the way, Tsutomu~?" Tendo pointed out the bouquet that Goshiki was holding.

He blinked up at his senpai, "They're for senpai."

"Seinaru-chan?" Tendo blinked, knowing that Saito was allergic to flowers.

"Yes!" He nodded. "It's tradition to offer flowers to the one you admire, especially during games."

"How come we never got any?" Tendo blinked.

"Because coach wouldn't allow it." Shirabu said. "I saw him get them all thrown out. Most were for Ushijima-san."

"Ah, talk about a strict papa." Tendo sweatdropped. He then looked at Ushiwaka who was deep in thought. "You good?"

The ace nodded. "Would she think that it is weird if I give her flowers?"

The middle blocker blinked. "Uh, no? I don't think so?"

"Fans do that." He added. "If you wanna make a statement though, do something that's not generic."

Yeah, like take her out to lunch at McDonald's right after her hunger breakdown as Seinaruthless.

"I see." Ushijima nodded as they finally entered the main bleachers for the VIP section.

He found their seats that were arranged on areas near each other and sat down – Goshiki and the others were on block 128, while he and Tendo were on block 126. He considered Tendo's advice and mulled over it for a moment.

Perhaps he should do something far from generic to make a statement.

The place was already bustling with people. Players from different countries could be spotted at every corner of the complex, but a certain red and white female team from Japan was nowhere to be seen. The VIP section wasn't as full as it was supposed to be. Perhaps the VIPs chose not to attend the opening ceremony.