28 | benched

TWENTY-EIGHT. GF-FORHIRE

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

"happy birthday, tobio." kageyama tobio read the text message sent to him by the black haired niiyama basketball player at six in the evening of his birthday.

he'd just gotten home from practice when his phone pinged with the message from the talented athlete.

a small smile graced upon his lips and his cheeks tinted a bit red. underneath his breath, he mumbled, "so she didn't forget."

little did he know, the girl was in quite a difficult predicament when she texted him.

-

"one more!" hanuka gritted her teeth as she received the ball from ichigo, all while being screened by takemichi and ryuguji who were both taller than her.

she'd failed two shots already because of the two-man block, but she refused to relent.

they resumed training as soon as they got back from toki's. komori had offered to take seinaru's shopping bags to her hotel, which she declined, saying that the boy had already given her enough favors for the day. so the bags were neatly stacked up in a pile beside the bench.

hanuka gritted her teeth in frustration as she dribbled the ball. ryuguji screened her left, and takemichi was on her right. she knew she was in a sitch.

she'd never played with players that were on par with her skillset before. niiyama had never been on the same roster as mujinzinaka— takemichi and ryuguji's school, because that team never made it to the quarter finals. but the skills that these two were showing, most especially their coordination was on par with hers and ichigo's.

it infuriated her very being, but truly, this only sparked up the fire within her.

she gave a fake out to the left, but ryuguji saw through it. as she went for a hook shot, the taller green haired girl swiped the ball off her fingers, effectively blocking her attempt at shooting the ball for the third time that evening.

"kusō!" she cussed underneath her breath, brows knitting together in anger.

ichigo gave a concerned side glance at the pink haired girl she'd never seen hanuka fail consecutively like this. it was almost like she hit a wall.

"practice over girls!" inko called out to the team.

they all gathered around to meet the coach by the bench, seeing their black haired captain already sitting down with her.

"i have something important to discuss." the female coach started, glancing over at the team that all sat down on the floor criss-cross applesauce.

"your captain and i have decided.." she gave a side glance at seinaru, who kept her eyes trailed on the wooden floors below her, hands clutched around her phone tightly.