14 | what the cat dragged in

FOURTEEN. GF-FORHIRE

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

it was four in the afternoon of a monday when tooru oikawa was just about to close his locker shut and his phone rang in the pocket of his school slacks.

ignoring the curious stares of several people in the hallways, the boy slipped his phone out and picked up the call.

"moshi-moshi!" he greeted, finally closing his locker and then making sure it was locked before he made his way down the hallways, while ignoring people's stares again.

"oikawa-sama." the girl on the other end greeted. "are you still in class? i hope i'm not disturbing you."

the boy looked at the caller id and for sure, it was the fake girlfriend who he and iwaizumi had training with today. she'd asked for his number a few days ago for accessible contact.

"no." oikawa kept his left hand that was holding the phone by his ear, while his right hand was stuffed inside his pocket. he walked outside the school and down the road leading to the bus stop.

"i'm actually on my way to the bus stop. you said we'd meet you a few blocks away from karasuno, right?" he asked the girl.

he was aware that she lived near karasuno, as the two got off the same stop when they rode on the bus together during their first meeting. so when she told him they'd meet there, it wasn't much of a surprise to him.

"about that.." the girl's tone sounded sheepish. "can we meet tomorrow? i was planning on changing our schedule- would tuesdays and thursdays work for you?"

oikawa got to the bus stop and hunched his back in slight fatigue. the day had been spent by him catching up on revisions he failed to submit when he was still practicing volleyball, that's why he was awfully tired.

"oh." he quipped. after a few seconds he answered the girl with a question. "why? did something come up? is everything okay?"

there was a slight pause before the girl answered. "i've been missing out on training."

she let out a sigh that was heard by the boy on the other end. "coach wanted me to dedicate my m-w-f to training since nationals is only a month away."

oikawa didn't fully understand what nationals she was talking about- but her words only reminded him of the bitter truth that he wasn't going to volleyball nationals that was also a month away.

with the reminder of volleyball, his mind suddenly irked with the question that he'd been itching to ask the girl since last week when he saw her with ushijima- was he perhaps one of her clients? did ushiwaka need some type of consoling from a girlfriend-for-hire after losing to karasuno's number ten?

questions plagued his mind but him being the gentleman that he is didn't press onto her personal and work life. they have a fine line between their relationship as client and servitor. he, however mischievous he may be, does not like doing things that are out of bounds.